Informing new job of vacation during interview

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Apr 10, 2014.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2014

My husband and I plan on going to my friend's wedding in December which will be in India. We'll probably go 10 days or so. We don't know exact dates yet. We'll both be moving to the USA in the next few months and I'm wondering should we (he as an engineer, me as a teacher, duh :p ) bring this up at the interview? Just tell them FYI- I'm going out of the country for 10 days in December and I'll need the days off. This is a non-negotiable vacation for me. I would honestly rather wait until January to start looking for jobs if every job I apply to says I can't have off the days.

Is this something to bring up at the interview? Or simply let them know a month or so ahead of time and let them deal with it?

Thanks!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 10, 2014

My district gives three personal days per year. No way would anyone get 10 days during school.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 10, 2014

How many actual SCHOOL days is it? 10 days could mean 6 days of school if you are including two weekends.

I wouldn't have been able to do it last year, in my first year at my school, because we accrue one personal day per month. I would have been able to do it this year because I don't take many days off and have lots of personal days saved up. But it also depends on the culture of the school/district. My current school is very accommodating for family situations and major life events like weddings. Others may not be as kind in that regard.

I am not sure about the interview thing. I think someone else would be able to answer that question better than I could.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 10, 2014

It would likely be a deal breaker here. We get three personal days a year.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2014

We had a teacher hired a few years ago who already had a two-week trip to Asia planned, and she made them aware of it going in. However, we had a hard time finding someone to fill the position and they were running out of time. I'm sure that was a factor in allowing her to miss all those days (and I do know that part was either unpaid or she had to cover some of the sub costs).

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2014

Same here.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 10, 2014

I don't think I would bring it up in the interview. I would wait until an offer is made. Is there any chance part of the trip would be during winter break?

9. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 11, 2014

I definitely wouldn't bring it up at the interview. You are trying to sell yourself at the interview and make the school want you. Personally I don't think that is a good time to make requests.

However, if you receive a job offer I would bring it up. You said there is no way you aren't taking this trip. I think you should be honest, because if November rolls around and you try to take 10 days off (or 6 or 5 or whatever) a month later and the P isn't fond of that idea.... sounds like a headache to me.

Also~ in my old school your request definitely would not fly, especially as a new hire. And my old P was pretty reasonable about family situations / life events.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2014

My P would respect your wishes. He is big on balancing life and work. He probably would just appreciate enough notice to get a sub. We have lots of subs available.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2014

My hubby...not a teacher....but made the place he worked aware (we were getting married then 1 wk honeymoon) only a few wks after hiring....It was just part of the hiring negotiations.

I would check your timing though... like others said may not be 10 days away from school!

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2014

I'm really hoping some of it falls in December break, but my friend doesn't know the days yet (there's going to be about 4 or 5 ceremonies, in different parts of the country).

Well thanks for the input. I guess it's best to bring it up when an offer is made, and not at the interview. I'd be fine with taking unpaid personal leave or whatever needed to go. It's just that right now I'm young and I prioritize travel. How often is it that you get to go to India for your best friend's wedding??? Since I met her back in freshman year in high school I told her I'm going to her wedding. No way in the world I'm going to pass it up. It's a once in a lifetime chance.

I have also thought about taking the first semester off to get my middle school science certificate added so I could get a job in middle school, which I'm finding is more where my passion is.

Thanks again :)

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2014

Here, it would absolutely have to be an unpaid leave which may or may not be approved. Even if the principal were on board, the superintendent may not approve as we have a clear list of what leave can and cannot be granted for. Hope it all works out for you--what a remarkable opportunity!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 11, 2014

I wouldn't bring it up at the interview. Get the job first & work the job. Then inform them about a month ahead of time. If all else fails & you lose your job, well at least you would have gotten all those days of salary that you already worked. I hope it works out!

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 11, 2014

I wouldn't bring it up at the interview either, but if you're set on going then I would definitely bring it up before accepting the job. You can't sign a contract without working that out first. I will warn you that it could never happen in my district. We also get only 3 personal days.

Good luck to you, though. I hope it works out!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 11, 2014

I don't know, I don't think I'd bring it up at all, but definitely not at the interview. Sounds presumptuous.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 11, 2014

Sorry, but I would definitely not do this. Sounds like a quick way to get fired and blackballed in the area. Education does not work this way.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2014

You might be well advised to take some time off from full time teaching to re acclimate...get yourself adjusted to your new environs, hook in, get on sub lists, see where you want to apply...then go on the vaca and start applying for mid year/LTS in January...then you'll be up to speed for next years hiring season.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 11, 2014

I think this is a tough one. I'd definitely wouldn't just tell them a month before hand, they couldn't fill the job, even if they could it sounds very inconsiderate and I know they wouldn't like it. And, as others said, you might not even get enough personal days, can't use sick days for this and then can't go.

I would bring it up before starting work, but not at the interview. Bringing it up then would easily weed you out, but if you bring it up when a job offer were made, that means they like you enough already and they might work with you.

My P is very flexible, and I know she would be ok with something like this if I was leaving for a month because of an illness of my family (they're in Europe) That would probably not be allowed per my contract, bt I know she would work it out because she's understanding and reasonable. I know she wouldn't do the same if I just wanted to go to a wedding. That, although is a big deal to you, and I totally understand, others might not see it that way.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2014

Thanks again for the replies.

I've never subbed before, but I suppose I could take that first semester and do sub work. My mom subs for a nice school down the street and I know she could get me a job there. Sub work doesn't appeal to me because you don't get to see the kids grow daily, which is what I like so much about teaching. But I could do it for a semester or year, and maybe even get a foot in the door for that school. But, for example, I checked job listings for the district and mid-year there were probably 8-10 jobs I could have applied for. So I'm hoping next year will be the same!

I'll have to think about it. Suppose it depends what kind of job offer my esposo gets!

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 12, 2014

If you going on this trip is non-negotiable, then you NEED to tell your employer before you formally accept the position.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2014

Exactly, Linguist. Your case would most likely fall under Family Medical Leave Act. Going to a wedding for 2 weeks is most likely to be looked at differently than caring for an ill family member.:2cents:

In my district we get three personal days, ten sick...wouldn't be able to use the sick days for a wedding trip.

23. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2014

It's looking like it'll be best for me to take off that first semester for subbing instead of a full time position.

I understand my trip is not "medical" or an "emergency" or whatever. I know that a school might not be willing to give me the time off for a vacation, which is why I started this thread in the first place, asking about when to mention that I need this time off. But listen, just because this trip isn't a medical family emergency, doesn't mean it's not important. I feel like some of you are shunning me for even thinking of taking this time off. But here's the bottom line- I'm going to India. This is something I've wanted to do forever and I'm not the type of person to do things "when the time is right". I make the time right. I'm going on this vacation, and I'll tell all you guys about how amazing it was when I get back. :)

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 12, 2014

There's absolutely nothing wrong with going on the trip, nor is there anything wrong with you applying for jobs first semester. You just need to make sure that you make the trip known before you sign a contract. Granted, you taking the trip probably makes your idea of subbing first semester a sound one, but you might end up having to sub for the whole year.

25. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 12, 2014

My principal would let you go, but she always says she feels "once in a lifetime" trips are important. But I am at (or used to be at) a private school so they have more leeway.

I think you made a great decision and I can't wait to hear about India. If I had a reason to go there I absolutely would!

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2014

You need to tell your employer before you formally accept the position.

This trip is non-negotiable? Makes me go Hmmmmmmm

You Have to ask yourself is this professional to ask for this time off since you don't even work for them yet. If you had worked for the district for a year or two that would be a different story

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 13, 2014

I certainly wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I was trying to honestly answer your question about how this situation would be handled in my district. If you choose to make the time right, you are likely choosing to adapt when you are available to take a job that works certain days and that choice is yours.

Have fun on your trip! I have several friends from India and you are in for an experience.

28. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2014

You're just grumpy you didn't take a chance to go to India when you were younger. :thumb:

Thank you for your input! I do appreciate your honesty. And this is what I needed to hear-I might have to push things around professionally to make this work. No problem.

I talked to my esposo about it and he's totally fine with me waiting a semester or year before finding a full time job. I can get a part time subbing and coaching job for the first year. :cool:

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 13, 2014

If you can afford it, then waiting for a full time job for a year would be fine. Maybe it's different where you're going to be but no one hires mid-year for a full time position here; it's always a LTS.

It's probably not something I'd do though. I would not like subbing. I love, love, love where I work. I couldn't afford to just sub, but I'm not married either.

30. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2014

I looked and I found a lot (well like I said 5 or 6) of full time or 50% jobs mid-year, obviously for this year. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

I don't think I'll love subbing either. But I do think it'll be worth it to sub for a while to be able to go on this trip. Plus, the place where I plan on subbing is an excellent school (private). And I'd LOVE to work there. If subbing gets my foot in the door, then I'll put up with it for a year!! :p I've put up with my amazingly disorganized clusterf*** of a school for three years, I feel like I can do anything! :haha:

31. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

I also wasn't trying to make you feel bad. Your trip sounds incredible and I would be making the same decision if I were in your shoes~~ probably would even stay longer than 10 days though, if it were me!

Enjoy!

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2014

When I was younger I travailed the US.---- Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Maine & Vermont are the only states I have not visited and/or camped in. Plus visited and/or camped in Ontario Canada, Sonoran and Baja Norte Mexico :2up:

My Son did the travailing for me via the US Navy, I have pictures of India, Hong Kong (Where he got a picture of a street named after one of our ancestors), Singapore, Australia, Japan, and Hawaii. I am and always have been a homebody.:p:up:

I guess since Teaching jobs are still a little hard to get I wouldn't want to hurt my chances by having a non-negotiable trip hit in the middle of the year.

All I can say is good luck :clap::clap::clap:

33. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

I talked to my friend last night and she told me 70% sure that it will be Dec 6. Which means if I leave the week before, it'll be Thanksgiving break. So it's looking like I'll have to take at least 6-7 days off potential work. Guess I'll sub that first year :) Or apply for jobs and see if anyone will hire me knowing I'll have to take off that time.

She told me she's staying for a full month! Luckily her boss (she's not a teacher) is Indian and understands Indian weddings, so he's giving her all of December off!

I'm getting all excited now. :haha: