Information overload

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by trulyblssd, Jul 25, 2006.

1. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 25, 2006

Remember how said that once I had the materials in my hands I would be eternally grateful and ready to go....

So much for that theory. I got the materials today, expecting (and maybe this was a rookie expectation) a couple of textbooks. To my surprise I got two boxes of information. Can someone say "information overload"...Oh my Lord! I don't know where to begin. I knew it was going to be tough, but tough is not even a good word….

I think I need to do some Yoga tonight!

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 25, 2006

Better too much than too little!

I'd break things down first into:
    1) Things I foresee yourself using
    2) Things you don't

There is no way you could use everything you're offered. Go through, see what catches your attention and imagination, and set them in some sort of logical order. If you're offered a few options, go with them! When I taught 10th grade English for a quarter, (my first long-term) the students became very tired of reading the textbook, in order, doing the ten questions after the story, and then a quiz. I would have DIED to have another resource for them, but it just wasn't available. So mix up your sources and enjoy!

4. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jul 25, 2006

I got my materials today too - four books to read about how to use one math curriculum! (Connected Math ... 7th grade ... advice from anyone who has used this would be welcome!) Plus 8th algebra, religion, and just found out I will have to create and teach an exploratory class every quarter on any topic I want (anything from knitting to ethics to history of baseball). I have lots to do in the next few weeks!

I guess we are better off having too much than people who get put in a classroom after the school year starts and have nothing! Good luck, trulyblssd!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

The information overload really gets me, too. There are so many great ideas that I'd love to try them all. Unfortunately, my kids would be in school all day and night. Narrowing down the possibilities is the hard part - so is fitting them into the short amount of teaching time and keeping it fun.

6. teacher247

teacher247 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

I can definitely relate to all of you. When I went to the school I was given a box of material and I had to look through all of it. To help me out, I looked for material that I was planning on using the first two weeks of school. This made me feel a little better.

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 28, 2006

Well I was hoping for my boat load of stuff but as myself and a few other new math teachers began opening the curriculum boxes we discovered they were not finished. Only the first few six weeks! But another very nice and helpful teacher gave us so much information I don't even know where to begin! I am excited about next week and putting my room and plans together.

8. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

I wish I had that problem! I am pretty much building my materials from my own stock of stuff - things I have picked up and things I have made along the way. I am stressed about how to plan over the summer before I meet the kids - I need to leave room for amendments obviously - but it is so hard to know where to start when you have no base to work from, outside of the text. I don't even have a teachers' edition.