Information on Reading Comprehension

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Obadiah, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 5, 2019

While shredding some old papers yesterday, I ran across something I had written 9 years ago, and thought it might be of value to college students and new teachers. So I am posting it below:

When I first began teaching, I often wondered why the teacher was prompted to ask questions at the end of a reading passage. I wondered if I was merely testing the students' comprehension or if there was a pedagogical function to the questions. Of course, I soon realized how much questioning aided the literal, inferential, and critical comprehension of a story. Last week, I was reading about resolving reading difficulties, and I was struck by what the author, Nettie Bartel, said about this. "Teacher-posed questions serve a valuable purpose in focusing the student's attention on the material and in helping the student learn the type of questions to ask about a reading passage. The ultimate goal in reading for comprehension is not to read to answer someone else's questions, but to learn to ask appropriate questions for oneself as one reads."

Bartel, Nettie R. Teaching Students Who Have Reading Problems. Teaching Students with Learning and Behavior Problems. Donald D. Hammill and Nettie R. Bartel. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, Inc., 1986.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Charlie Trahan likes this.