Informal names, nicknames, and the like.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by socialstudies10, Jul 26, 2011.

1. socialstudies10

socialstudies10 New Member

Jul 26, 2011

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and very new to teaching. I will be starting observation in the fall and am very excited. As an assignment, my teacher has asked us to ask other teachers their opinions on the use of nicknames and such. Here are the list of questions, thanks:

Do you allow students to call you by your first name?

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.? What about "sir" or "ma'am"?

Do you address students with titles? nicknames? last names?

Are you consistent with all students, or do gender, favoritism, or other factors play a role in how names are used?

Do you address students by the names they request, or by ones you choose?

Thank you very much!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Hi and welcome. In case you care, I teach math in a Catholic High School, and am about to begin year #26

You're welcome!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2011

No. However, at one point there were two of us with the same last name. We taught the same students. Students referred to us as Mrs. FirstInitial LastName or Mrs. FirstName LastName.

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.? What about "sir" or "ma'am"?
    I'm always Mrs. LastName. Sometimes they call me "ma'am", which is fine with me.

I use whatever they prefer. On the first day of school, their "official" name is on the desk. If they prefer a different name, they just mark it out and write in the new one. I make them a new name tag.

Are you consistent with all students, or do gender, favoritism, or other factors play a role in how names are used?
    I'm consistent in that I use whatever the student prefers.

See above.

5. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 26, 2011

No. They can either use miss last name or the first letter of my last name.
    If they mix up Mrs./Miss, I don't bother to correct them. They do it with most teachers. I'm technically a "miss" but a lot of kids call me "mrs." Sir and ma'am are regional I think. People don't use those terms here.
    I use first names or a nickname if the student prefers, as long as it's not totally ridiculous. Last year, I had a student who repeatedely asked to be called "senor baby cop." I called him by his first name.

I'll keep the last answer- I'm consistent in that I use whatever the student prefers.
    The ones they choose, as long as it's not something totally distracting/absurd as I mentioned.

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

No. I am Mr. Lastname, or Mr. C

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.?
    I prefer that students use "Mr.", but it's been very much against the culture of the school I work in. Most kids simply call the teacher by their last name, with no "Mr." or anything in front of it. We've been working to combat this recently.

What about "sir" or "ma'am"?
    It's generally not used around here.

I address all students by their first name, or middle name (if they prefer). Occasionally of course, shorthand versions are fine too (Mike, Joey, etc).

I am consistent.

Typically the names they request, as long as it's not outrageous or obviously totally made up/random. One boy liked to go by Jeffery Dahmer. Obviously, I didn't use that.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I am 21 and completed by student teaching at an urban early college HS. I will be teaching this year in a Catholic school.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

No. It's Mrs Lastname

Mrs or Ms are fine. I have no problem with ma'am but don't expect it at all.

Pretty much first names

consistent
    mostly by their first name unless they prefer a variant of their first name (ex:Mike for Michael)

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

Do you allow students to call you by your first name? No

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.? What about "sir" or "ma'am"? That's fine, I am Mrs. J

Do you address students with titles? nicknames? last names? Usually as hun, dear, my dear, etc.

Are you consistent with all students, or do gender, favoritism, or other factors play a role in how names are used? I am consistent

Do you address students by the names they request, or by ones you choose? If they have a special nickname I call them that (unless the parents don't like it, like a student I had last year whose parents specifically informed me at the beginning of the year that his classmates had been calling him by a nickname and that wasn't his name and he should be called bu his name).

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

No. However when I taught Deaf Ed, the Deaf students called me by my first name. It is a cultural thing.
    (at my daughter's elem. school, one teacher requested that the children call her by her first name. She was quite adamant about it. I insisted that my daughter put the term Miss before her first name)

doesn't bother me.
    Yes, all of the above.
    Very consistant
    If they tell me their choice, I will call them by that.

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

Best of Luck!! :)

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

No. I wouldn't freak out if they did but would correct them. It's never been an issue.

Mr. and Ms. are expected (I write Mrs. but no one seems to actually speak it) and sir and ma'am are appreciated and taught but not absolutely required. I certainly use such titles on a regular, natural basis.

All of the above.

Of course not, although boys are more likely to go by a nickname.

Request.

14. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jul 26, 2011

No, but my long-term drama students will as a joke, when they are seniors, but it is done respectfully. It is Ms. . . . or just my last name

Whatever works. I seem to get ma'am more when they are being reprimanded for something.

Whatever they wish, as long as its not disruptive, obscene or discomforting

Yes.

Always what they request. It's a matter of respect.

Thank you very much![/QUOTE]

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 26, 2011

Here's what I do:

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

You are welcome!

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

Hope that helps

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

They call me Mr. O_____. They eventually find out my first name and it's never a problem.

Sometimes I get called "Mom" or even "Nana." But I'll tell you now, the first kid who calls me "Grandpa" is in for a very long first grade year.

Being I'm the first male teacher many of them have ever had, I also get called Mrs. O____ sometimes.

What I don't like is being called O_____. I tell them "You need to put a Mr. or a Sgt. in front of that O_____.

As for what I call the students, I call them by whatever name they are called at home. Of course, most of the time, that's the same name on the roll sheet. But sometimes they'll have a given nickname or a shortened version. Also, I make sure that I pronounce their names correctly. This is mostly an issue with Latino students with names like Claudia, Angelica, Cesar. A lot of teachers don't make this effort.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 26, 2011

That's awesome, Sarge! I am Latino, so I don't have a problem proncouncing names like the ones you mentioned. However, many (not all, though) teachers who don't speak Spanish butcher Latino names.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

I have the same problem with many of my students' names, in addition to the difficult spellings. My students, however, are not Latino.

21. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Do you allow students to call you by your first name? No

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.? What about "sir" or "ma'am"? Absolutely they should address teachers with the appropriate courtesy title. I believe in using "sir" and "ma'am," too -- probably because I'm from the South and it's just good manners to do so.

Do you address students with titles? nicknames? last names? Almost always I use their given name. Rarely do I call a student by a nickname; e.g. parents and the student both say, "His name is Brandon Jordan Jones but we all call him Jonesy." After I get to know students very, very well, I might call one by his last name --or I might address him or her as "Miss Daniel" or "Mr. Wilcox," for example...in a light-hearted way, if I'm sure they'll take it that way.

Are you consistent with all students, or do gender, favoritism, or other factors play a role in how names are used? see above...I deviate from the given name in certain cases, and even then, it's an occasional thing.

Do you address students by the names they request, or by ones you choose? I ask students at open house or on the first day what name they go by. I call them that. Rarely, I will call them by a nickname. The past two years I had boys who went by nicknames, and it was their parents who actually made the request. I won't call them something that they clearly made up or that I see as degrading - for example, years ago a student named Marfreques wanted me to call him Freak, but I wouldn't.

22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I think this is so important. In a classroom I taught in there was a Destine (pronounced Destinay with the end as in day) and a Destiny. The teacher always called Destine, Destiny and when I took over the girl actually thanked me for calling her by the right name! She said "You've only been here for a few weeks and you got my name right and Mrs. _______ still doesn't know my name!" I also had a Phal'len who sometimes spelled her name that way and sometimes Phallen. I never knew which way she preferred so I went by what it was like on the roster. In hindsight I should have asked her.

Not weird names but I had two identical twins who hated to be called the wrong name. They were completely identical and didn't do anything to distinguish themselves but would get so mad if you called them by the other one's name! They were close to so it wasn't like they didn't like each other. Finally another student filled me in that S always wore a blue hoodie and T always wore orange. She also mentioned the frames of their glasses being slightly different, one was a touch thinner. As if you can notice that in the middle of class! :dizzy:

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

My answers are similar to all the others, so I won't repeat them.

I did have a girl last year ask me to call her Princess. Um. No. I politely declined. I generally just use their given name or some version of it if the child asks. Occasionally, a student will ask to be referred to by his middle name or initials, and that's fine too.

Living in the south, it is an expectation (but not a requirement) that we refer to our elders or superiors as sir or ma'am. So if a student calls me ma'am, it's obviously welcome, but I don't correct them if they don't. There are teachers who do, especially at the lower grades.

24. mwil

mwil Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

No, but they are aware of it and I don't try to hide it.

They use Mrs., usually it ends up as Ms. though because my last name is long. Ma'am is fine, as well, as long as they aren't using it in a rude manner
    I usually use their first name, but sometimes I will use their last name. Not formally, just as something different that they seem to enjoy. I don't really use nicknames, though, unless it is the name they go by

I try to be very consistent with all students, as I'm sure most teachers do

If they go by a name other than the one on their paperwork, I use that name. If they just want to be goofy and want me to call them something else, that isn't going to happen.

25. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 27, 2011

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 27, 2011

Do you allow students to call you by your first name? No they call me Mrs. Last name.

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.? What about "sir" or "ma'am"? Dr. Mr. Mrs. or Ms. should be used. It is a sign of respect. I teach K. so they aren't going to use sir or ma'am.

Do you address students with titles? nicknames? last names? I normally call students their name, or nickname. I never call them by their last name, unless I'm teaching them a lesson using the first letters of their last name

Are you consistent with all students, or do gender, favoritism, or other factors play a role in how names are used? consistent with all students

Do you address students by the names they request, or by ones you choose? I tend to call them the name their parents gave them. If they are "Samuel, and ask to be called Sammy, I will call them Sammy. If they are Jacob and want to be Peter Parker. I'll stick with Jacob.

27. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

My answers would be the same as all the others, so I won't repeat them.

I do get called 'Mom' every once in a while, and last year the kids didn't know my first name until I used it in a flipchart in the middle of the year. I don't know why - it just didn't come up I guess.

One student asked me to call her "Lizzy" but I had to say no. Her name was Naomi. Lizzy wasn't her middle name, nickname, or ever used by her friends or family. She just didn't like her name. I said I thought it was a beautiful name- unique like her, and I apologized, but no. She dropped it. It was a bit surreal.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

The last time I taught identical twins, Nick had a bad case of acne all year. I'm sure it was torture for him, but it made it a whole lot easier to tell him from his brother!!!!

My brother in law is an identical twin. When their oldest daughter was born, I ran into him in the hospital, and gave him a big hug. He stood there smiling, waiting for me to realize he was the wrong brother. :lol:

A few years ago I taught "Tom" who was African American. He had been adopted as an infant by a Caucasian family, and given that as his first name. His middle name was more typicallly one given to people in his race, and he chose to go by that name instead. I had no problem with that at all-- it's part of who he is. My son's middle name is his Korean birth name for the same reason. (Like "Tom's" parents, we felt that the birth name was an important part of our son's identity. If at some point, he wants to connect with that part of his past, then it's part of the name on his roster.)

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

Nope. They call me Ms. Lastname

Most teachers at my school simply state their preference for a title. Ma'am and sir are very common down here.

Sometimes, I give a kid a nickname. Like the year I had 4 Alexs (or is it Alexes?) in one class. The time I had 3 Christophers. Or the time I had identical twins with the same first name.

Nope, I'm fair. They all get called by their first name or nickname. Except for the time I was explaining the difference between Miss, Ms., and Mrs. - and the topic of Mr. and Master (for young boys came up). Then every boy in that class wanted to be Master Firstname for the rest of the year.

Well, the one they request! Anytime kids get a nickname from me, I clear it with them first. If being Alex 4 wasn't going to fly, me & the child figured something else out. Like Spiky Alex for his hair :)

Thank you very much!

30. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your observations!

31. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 27, 2011

Do you allow students to call you by your first name? No. And I correct them when they call me "teacher" by explaining to them that I have to call them by their name, they need to call me by mine. When they slip and call me "teacher", I answer them by saying "Student?" That usually jogs the memory.

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.? What about "sir" or "ma'am"? Respected and appreciated :D....I get mom and even :eek: grandma...ugh. I have to laugh when those slip because they truly don't mean it.

Do you address students with titles? nicknames? last names? The name they give me at the beginning of the year is what they hear from me. Although having multiple same first names we come to the agreement to call them by their first name with the first letter of their last name--it's worked 2 years in a row so far.:)

Are you consistent with all students, or do gender, favoritism, or other factors play a role in how names are used? Yes, it's something I made sure to do after witnessing this in a classroom during my teacher prep---I saw kids just melt in front of the teacher and she didn't even know it.

Do you address students by the names they request, or by ones you choose? By the name I have on the roster or the one they have confirmed with me and their parents at our backtoschool conferences. My coworker had to call her student "Tank" last year because that's what his parents and friends called him---His real name wasn't near his nickname.

Thank you very much!You're welcome!

32. Susan82397

Susan82397 Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

It is acceptable (and not uncommon) for teachers in elementary school here to call their teachers by their first name as long as it has Mr. or "Miss" in from of it. I tell my kids on the first name that they can call me "Miss" Susan or Mrs. LastName. Most choose my last name.

Kids at the elementary level are also expected to say "sir" and "ma'am" and will be corrected. Can you tell I'm in the deep South? My mom still corrects me if I don't say ma'am or sir to her or my dad, and I'm 34!

I have no problem calling kids whatever they want to be called as long as the parents are ok with it too, and it isn't too crazy. I will also (in a fun/joking manner) call my kids Miss/Mr. Last Name when I call on them. :)

We have a VERY laid back environment at my school and everything is very informal. But, it is an awesome school!!

33. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

Yeah the whole "Miss Susan" or "Miss Sarah" (etc) thing is super common in the South. That's how we always addressed our mother's friends. It's how we STILL address them! LOL.

For the record, I call anyone who is an adult that I have not formally met "sir" or "ma'am", even if they are working at McDonald's. It's just what we do around here! If they are older than me or in a superior position, it's an absolute given that they will be called "sir" or "ma'am" in all formal conversations and sometimes in informal settings, too.

34. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

I'm glad this thread was opened, because I am starting at a new school this year and....

Teachers go by their first names!!! It's how the school operates-more on the progressive side (private school).

I feel awkward about it, as I'm used to being called "Ms." (like Mizzz...every female teacher had this title, whether married or not)

I'm trying to get used to it, but what makes it worse is that casually I go by Sam, but I DON'T want students calling me that...at least call me Samantha! The problem is though, fellow teachers, etc. will call me Sam, so I know eventually it will spread to students...not sure what to do!

35. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

No. My name is Ms. ---------. If they use Mrs. I usually look past that.

Sir and ma'am are common in VA. They are quite fine by me. In fact, I use them quite often when addressing students. Was weird at first since I'm from the north...

Depends on what I remember. I have a terrible problem remembering names. I can remember a name one day and forget it the next. I warn the kids about that at the beginning of the year so they don't get upset. Nicknames are fine unless they are things like Pookie, Redneck, etc. I also use last names - Mr. Last Name, Miss Last Name.

I'm consistent in that I use whatever the student prefers - as long as I remember it.

Most often I remember names by Last Name/First Name. Probably because I enter the names that way in my grade book, on folders, in text books, etc. before school starts. The repetition enforces the last name more than the first name. Then I just have to hope I can keep the names associated with the faces when school starts - I mess up all the time.

36. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

Ya know, this post made me laugh because I had a student last year who had my same last name (not an extremely common last name). Anyway, I'd always call him "Mr. ________" and the kids would always giggle because I was calling the student the same thing they call me. It was cute.

P.S. This was when I taught 2nd grade. It may not be as funny with my 6th graders.

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

Something I don't like or understand is that in every school I've ever been in, teachers are called, for example, Mrs. Skaggs while assistants are called Mrs. Jessica. In every single school! Why are teachers referred to by their last names yet the assistants are on a first name basis? I find this to be insulting toward the assistants. I don't oppose either choice, but it should be consistent. Just my opinion. :)

38. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

Do you allow students to call you by your first name? I worked at a tutoring center with most students preK through 5th grade, so a lot of them called me Miss FirstName. They called the other tutors Miss FirstName as well. When I've been in public school, I've always been Ms. LastName.

How do you feel about students using Dr., Mr., Mrs. or Ms.? What about "sir" or "ma'am"? Sir and ma'am are definitely regional. I've been called ma'am a few times while teaching. It sounds kind of odd since I never called anyone that growing up, but I don't have a problem with it

Do you address students with titles? nicknames? last names? Depends how I feel that day.

Are you consistent with all students, or do gender, favoritism, or other factors play a role in how names are used? I try to be consistent with everybody, but since I'm friendly and outgoing, I'm more likely to use nicknames and make up jokes about students who are friendly and outgoing toward me. I don't like to use a nickname on a shy student who I don't feel familiar with.

Do you address students by the names they request, or by ones you choose? I agree with everyone else who said that a student's name is theirs; they choose what they will be called.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

I agree with you. I think that everyone needs to be presented the same way in order to garner the same amount of respect from students and staff.

Students use Mrs. C___ or Mrs. C.

Sir and ma'am are not in common use here--I don't think I've ever been called ma'am. The students usually use Mrs., but is they say Miss, I don't worry about it.

I use their given name or the shortened form they prefer. I have had students who go by different names (middle names or something completely different), and as long as they are not inappropriate or "cutesy" I'll use them. I never use titles or last names.

I'm consistent. (Although I had one Special Ed student a few years ago who liked to "change" her name every couple of weeks--Chantelle, Samantha, Chloe, Zoe...) and I couldn't always keep up.

I never choose names for my students, I use what they request. (Sorry, the one exception to that was one of my students last year who we all nicknamed, "Thesaurus Man", and I did use that on occasion in the context of a lesson).

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

No, with one exception. One of my drama kids called me by my first name one time to get my attention when I couldn't hear him over the noise of drama club, and he does it now as a joke if he thinks I'm not listening to him.

My students mostly call me Miss LastName, but most teachers at my school have other nicknames we go by as well. I get several variations based on my last name, I also get Mama Last Name, and sometimes they call me Mrs. Husband's Last Name.

I call students by their first names. A few of them, mostly drama club kids get nicknames. I will sometimes call them by a nickname they ask to go by, but it depends on the kid and the nickname.

Other factors, like: I will not call a student by a gang name or anything that is not school appropriate. Some students go by family nicknames, and want to be called that, and I will call them that (Trey, Jr., initials, once Tweety.)

Usually by the name they ask for, unless it's something inappropriate, or something like Lil' Mama or something that could possibly distract from an academic environment.

41. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

That's not been my experience. Every school I've worked at we've all been Title lastname. Except for a couple of day cares then we were all Miss firstname.