"Informal meeting" for LTS position on Monday

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

I just got called for an "informal meeting" to discuss an LTS position. It's the same position where I e-mailed the principal and referred to him as Mr. instead of Dr. so I guess that didn't really matter..... The lady who called said it's not going to be an interview. "Don't wear a suit," she says.... So I asked if the process would be like "passing the informal meeting to get an interview" and she said no, they don't typically interview since it's an LTS.

What should I be expecting? :eek:

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

Sounds like they just want to get to know you, but really, a rose by any other name is still a rose. I would treat it as an interview, even though they said not to. If she said don't wear a suit, then don't, though. Just go business casual. Good luck!

4. seagrape

seagrape Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

I would also treat it like an interview. Do they want you to bring any documents?

The last "informal meeting" I had was actually a job offer, though I had already interviewed. So, it could be good!

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

I'm not going to the meeting with any expectations but will treat it as an interview. Since they don't know who I am, I'm sure they won't be offering me anything... I read in their faculty handbook that teachers are evaluated by administration and they look for these things:

* clear objective(s) stated by teacher at the beginning of the lesson
    * objectives understood by students
    * variety of materials utilized
    * at least three different activities in one 96 minute lesson* sensitivity to individual student needs when appropriate
    * classroom management
    * omission of "dead" space during the lesson
    * inquiry techniques and probing questions employed
    * meaningful activities
    * conclusion of lesson

The problem with my teaching style is that I am SO OLD-SCHOOL!! With the school on block-schedule, I have no idea how to teach besides the chalk-n-walk-n-talk. And it's for MATH!! How else to teach math besides doing problems over and over? :p

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

Cooperative learning. Solving problems. Assigning a project now and again that utilizes math skills.

I teach elementary school, but I love the menu approach. A warm up, then teaching the skill/objective for the day. Depending on where we are in the unit, I like to post choices on the board or chart that contain activities relating to the unit. Student participation in some choices is mandatory depending on their performance; optional for others.

I don't teach high school so I'm sure some other teachers can chime in and offer much better advice, but I think an "old school" mentality, however talented you are, is going to work very much against you in today's job market. :2cents:

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

Do you think your teaching style and not seeming to know any other way to teach might be hindering you?

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

Oh, I know it is.... I've been told by a handful that know me that teaching in college would be the ideal place for me. :lol:

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2013

I'm bumping this up so maybe some math teachers can reply to my question about multiple teaching methods for math...:D

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

It's always better to ask the question, provide the problem and have the students work through it. It can be something like asking the class the question, have them answer, sort of a whole class brainstorming, but you can actually guide them so they arrive at the right conclusion. You can also have them work in pairs, small groups, etc.
    One thing that really stayed with me from student teaching is when my supervisor said that it's always better to ask the question and have the students answer, instead of me always telling. Build on the background knowledge, ask questions they know and then go from there.
    You can definitely do that with math. Also another big thing with math is to make sure they see how it is relevant to their lives. Some things are really abstract, but it's always good to find a way to show them that math is apparent in their daily lives.