Informal Assessment Suggestions

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by maemcgov, Aug 9, 2007.

1. maemcgov

maemcgov Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Hello,

I had one more question...this one about informal assessment. I plan to do a lot of anecdotal assessment (kidwatching). I tried a few different methods in my student teaching and they were all a little combersome and hard to keep track of. I would love to hear what other people have done, especially in the area of literacy.

thank you,
    Mary

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

What are some of the methods you've used? post-it notes overlapping? small post-it notes for a comment or 2? 1 sheet, sectioned enough for all students to have a spot? Any you liked in particular but may need to modify?

4. maemcgov

maemcgov Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I have used notecards overlapping on a clipboard that you can just flip to the student. I've also used computer labels and then stuck them to a binder page for each student. I like that the best, but it's hard to keep track of which content area i'm observing.

5. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

You could use different clipboards for different subjects.

You could find different color labels for different subjects.

You could print small clip art relating to the subject onto the labels before using them or letter codes for subjects. You could even add student names to them as well.

You could color code the content areas and mark labels down one side with the colors.

You could assign each day of the week with the content area you will observe. M: Math, T: Science, W: Writing, R: Reading, F:Social Studies or something similar, possibly more reading, writing, or math.

Good luck!

6. teach4u34

teach4u34 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I have a question. What would be a good informal assessment or formal assessment for writing.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2008

Kind of depends on what you want to assess in the kids' writing and the type/genre of writing they are doing. Have you ever seen the rubistar website? It has many many rubrics for assessing a variety of curricular areas. http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php