Influencing friends/relatives with your good example, and then abandoning it

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by anna9868, Mar 19, 2016.

1. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Mar 19, 2016

Do you ever have such situations when you are interested in doing something, and your enthusiasm is pickup up by a friend or a relative. They start doing the same thing, whereas you "cool down" and stop doing it at some point whereas they continue?

I have a few examples of these, with my friends.
    At some point a few years back I was into bread baking with a bread maker. I was telling my friends how cool it it. It didn't last long, maybe 6 months.
    However, one of my friend picked it up from me because of my enthusiasm. They've been baking breads in their family for a year now, and no signs of stopping!

I picked up from the same friend going to yoga. She went for about a year, then stopped by the time I decided to try. She hasn't returned since. I've been going for 2.5 years.
    We both laugh at these examples!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2016

Friends influence each other. Is that your point?

4. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Mar 19, 2016

not as simple as that. Influence with something, then you quit doing whatever it is, and your friend continues.

It's just that I have quite a few of those examples. Was wondering if other people experience something similar as well

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 21, 2016

Not quite sure what your point is, or if it is more of a question.
    You quit making bread but your friend continued; sounds like you lost interest and your friend didn't.
    Are you upset by these events?
    I enjoy it when I pick up something new from a friend, or when someone asks me about something I do.

6. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Mar 21, 2016

no, why? I'm not upset. I just find it funny how I have a number of such examples of me passing an interest on to a friend, and then it just happens that I quit doing myself. Or, a friend passing something interesting to me that she likes to do and then she would quit doing that.

I was curious how often other people experience similar situations.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 21, 2016

I got your point, Anna. I think your enthusiasm for baking bread was catching! And your friend helped you find a great, healthy pursuit. I'm trying to think of a case when this happened with me, and it could have been with crafting - but I got lazy. And pinterest.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 21, 2016

TOTALLY get this. One of my best friends got me started running three years ago. I've started working with coaches and completed a 10K yesterday. She's totally fallen off the wagon, which is a mess for her since we both signed up for a half-marathon next month.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  9. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 21, 2016

Haha, a friend and I were just laughing about this a few weeks ago. In college I was super into yoga and was a vegetarian and occasional vegan. Now I have a love of steak and prefer boxing and strength training for exercise (haven't done yoga in close to two years), but a good friend of mine who turned down multiple invitations to come to a yoga class is now working on her yoga teacher certification and became a vegan right around the time I moved away from that lifestyle. Go figure!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 21, 2016

I've had this happen both ways.

I started out using a George Foreman and loved the model I used. I raved about it to my mom so she bought one. I use mine occasionally, but my mom uses hers at least five nights a week and has bought all of the different accessories for it. She bought another one and put it in a cabinet in case hers breaks.

I started ribbon embroidery because a friend invited me to a class she was teaching. I still do this, but she hasn't in years.