Inferring

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.T, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

What are some good picture books that you use to teach the skill of inferring?

Also, how do you introduce the idea of inferring?

Thank you!:)

3. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jun 25, 2007

To teach the concept of inferring you can use wordless picture books. That is what I did with my 3rd graders last year. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the titles of any of the books I used. I got them all from the library. I paired the students up and gave each pair a different book. In the past I have also used Allen Say's book, Grandfathers Journey.

To introduce the topic of inferring, come up with a variety of activities and then list the things that are needed to do each activity. For example, if you are going to go to the beach, you will need a swim suit, towel, sun tan or SPF lotion, and sunglasses. Tell the students you are going somewhere and they have to infer what you are going to be doing based on the information being presented to them (swim suit, towel, etc.) and their background knowledge.

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 25, 2007

I was going to say the same thing. The Carl books are good for that (about the dog and baby). One of the titles I think is Carl Goes Shopping.

Another idea is to make up little stories about your weekend and ask the students to make an inference from what you've told them.

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Thanks! Those are super ideas! :)

6. divey

divey Companion

Jun 25, 2007

I have used The Important Book when teaching about inferring. Since the object is named at the beginning of each page, I usually say "blank" so that the kids have to use the clues that are given to figure out what "blank" is. As far as teaching the concept...I explain to my students that sometimes author's give you clues, but don't tell you what exactly they're talking about and inferring is using the clues to figure it all out.

7. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I struggle with this topic, too! Thanks for the question and the great ideas! :)

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 25, 2007

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 25, 2007

Chris Van Allsburg has really cool and interesting wordless books you can use for inference.

10. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

My experience with inferring is that it is incredibly confusing for students to recognize the difference between an inference and a prediction.

Prediction is a heavily taught comprehension strategy starting in kindergarten, but inferring often isn't taught until 2nd or 3rd grade. By that time it's really tough for students to understand the difference.

I think inferring needs to be taught as early as possible in order to help students understand the subtle differences.

Unlike a prediction, an inference isn't always answered by the book. You can't always say, "let's turn the page and find out." Inferring does usually involve some sort of personal knowledge gathered from life experience though.

I've found it very helpful to really have students explain why they make a certain inference to pull out what personal knowledge they're using to construct their response.

11. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 25, 2007

A great wordless picture book is entitled Tuesdaybut I can't remember the author. It is about frogs(I think) dropping from the sky and the results that has. It is a really cute book. I actually own the book, but it is in storage right now and I haven't "read" it in awhile, I just remember it being very good. I also know the last page shows pigs flying....great for getting inference.