Indoor Recess

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutNglue, Jul 19, 2007.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2007

I vow that this year we will have a bigger collection of games for indoor recess (when it rains). We play in the gym. Most of the time I am responsible for 1st and 2nd grade. Occasionally I am responsible for pre-k and K. The real challenge comes when we have all the grades mixed. We have to be careful of what we play. The older kids get bored and whine about playing younger kid games and so forth.

Currently they LOVE dodgeball. We can't play that with the younger crowd. We also play Shark but that gets old. At the end of last year we also added relay races. The younger crowd also likes follow the leader.

Anybody have other games that will keep them engaged and easy to set up and start playing?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 19, 2007

Red light, green light is good. There's also a tag game where one person is it and everybody else lines up on one side. They all have to run across to the other side and whover gets tagged joins the it in the middle. The last one to get tagged becomes the new it.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

I used to play 4 corners. Each child in the group runs to a corner. You place a color on each corner (tape a sign on the wall written in that color.) A caller stands with their eyes closed (or blindfolded) in the middle and they have to listen to see which corner they think has the most people. They call out a color, for example, red. All the kids in the red corner are out. The remaining kid run around and find a corner. The caller says another color, green, and those kids are out. You keep playing until one person is left, and they are the next caller. It is a pretty fast game and kids aren't out for long.

5. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 19, 2007

My kids like Touchy Turtle. One person is "it" and the other children run around. When the "it" person gets close to a child that child can keep from being tagged by lying on their back and wiggling their arms and legs in the air (like a turtle on it's back). If they are tagged before they can do this they are out or they can be frozen (you decide).

My kids also like the game where everyone is it. Lots of running!:D

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2007

The Morning Meeting Activities book has lots of great games that would work well for indoor recess.

7. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

My 4th graders LOVE 4 corners. You could also set up some sort of relay races....making sure to mix up the ages on each team so it would be fair.

8. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

A good game is survival and works well with the mixed grades. I taught k-3 mixed physed in my first placement. YIKE!

survival:
    10 sandwich bags with 10 green paper strips
    8 sandwich bags with 3 red paper strips
    2 sandwich bags with 1 blue paper strip

the green are herbivores
    the red are carnivores
    and the blue is disease, or hunter

green have to survive
    red can eat green
    blue can eat anyone

if you get tagged:

if red tags green, green gives up one of their tickets, then escapes.
    if blue tags green , green gives up one of their tickets, then escapes.
    if blue tags red, red gives up one red ticket only not green.

the winner is the last animal to survive with the disease/hunter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

another one is snowball battlefield

like dodge ball, but every student has a small squishy ball the size of a golfball. you have 2 teams and each student begins to throw their ball at the other team. if you get hit you have to sit down and put for hands in the air. one member of your team can toss their snowball to you. if you catch it and toss it back to them, with them catching it, you can stand up and count a 5 sec invincibility before you can be hit again.

the other team cant attack a group that are tossing to a team mate. if they toss at a person helping a team mate, the tosser sits down and have to look for a helper.

this game works well for team character, and can be used with multiple ages - K-3 tested

PM me and I'll dig through my notes from last year.

HTH,
    Mr. Skinner :D

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

I would play peanutbutter. Kids would line up on one side & run to the other side. I would call out different food names, but the kids could only run on peanutbutter. I would try & do alot of foods like pizza, pumpkin etc, drawing out the /p/ sound. Anyone tagged was either out or helped to tag.

We also played Barnyard. Each child chooses a name of a barnyard animal. Kids line up on one side. The caller calls an animal name & everyone who chose that name runs to the other side. Anyone who gets tagged helps to tag others. When the caller says Barnyard Upset, everyone runs to the other side.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 20, 2007

Give me a bit. I'm having to read through these.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 20, 2007

Red light/Green light. We do a game similar to that we use big made up arm movements instead because it is easier for deaf kids to see than the words red light/green light. I had forgotten about that. I'm writing it down.
    4 corners is out because of the blindfolded.
    Touchy Turtles: CUTE little kids game! I'm adding that!
    Relay Races: We did this last year starting when we had plastic easter eggs. That was fun!
    Hunter is too complicated to teach to that big of a crowd in the short period of recess especially when they just want to play NOW! It reminds me of a similar game YOU might be interested in! Label each corner "food" (2) and "water" (2). The middle is a circle labeled "shelter." Half the students are momma deer, then baby deer and 1-2 as wolves. Baby deer wait (sidelines) to be born. The other sideline area is called the graveyard. The wolves must tag the deer. If tagged, they go to graveyard. The momma's goal is to touch all 4 resource corners and the shelter and then invite a baby to be born and join. Then they have to go with the baby to all of these places. If that is successful, the baby is now a momma and the cycle is repeated (they no longer have to stay together). At first the shelter is the only safe spot. Then you repeat the game but manipulate the resources each time (ie, remove a corner or two, make shelter unsafe, add more wolves, etc). The idea is to watch how the deer community grows or dies out depending on how you change the resources/habitat. This may not be for very young grades, but it is a good science game!
    Snowball game: I'm writing it down for 1st/2nd grade days.
    Peanut Butter is too phonetic. I didn't make it clear that I was working with deaf kids. Sorry.

I'm confused about Barnyard. How do you know what each child chose ahead of time? How do you keep it honest?

My idea is to keep as many as I can in a notebook so other Aides can review it too and we can do something besides the same boring thing.

12. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

My kids love Silent Speedball. They spread out and silently pass a soft ball (like a Koosh Ball) to each other. If they speak or drop it, they're out. They very rarely pick anything but this to play during indoor recess.

Another game they like is Frog Detective. Choose one person to be the Detective. They step out of the room for a second while you choose a Frog. The kids spread out and the Detective comes back in. The Frog pokes his tongue out verrrrry discretely (without the Detective seeing) at students, one at a time, who "drop" like flies. They tend to get a little dramatic. The Detective walks around the room to try to figure out who the Frog is. I give him three guesses (and he doesn't have to guess all at once). They love being sneaky and "in on a secret!"

13. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

That frog game sounds fun! I'm not sure I 'get' speedball. Is there more to it?
    Thanks!

14. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, there's not much else to Silent Speedball than that. It's simply a pass-the-ball game. When students get "out" they sit down, so the other students have a farther distance to throw and catch. The more people who get out, the more challenging it gets. Whoo-hoo!

15. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 21, 2007

I play 4 Corners a little differently. All children get to play and I use a spinner (like the one from Twister that has 4 sections...or you could just spin a pencil/screwdriver/etc) to determine which corner gets out. The kids have to keep moving until the music stops and then choose a corner. Which ever corner the spinner points to is out.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

Barnyard You don't know what animals the kiddos choose. You have to trust them not to change their animal, but that's why there's the Barnyard Upset. Everyone has to run.

Peanut butter You don't have to choose words that start with /p/, my kiddos just like the extra challenge. The whole idea of the game is to just get them running.