Indoor Recess Ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AZMrs.S, Aug 28, 2011.

1. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

We had indoor recess 3 out of 5 days last week due to extreme heat (temps 115+) the kids and I are ALL going stir crazy... I am running out of ideas for things that they can do. Its only my first year so I haven't really built a collection of board games or puzzles. The first two days we did watercoloring and they were so excited! It was something fun that they were able to do independently. By the third day they were tired of painting... they wanted to play heads up seven up, which I was fine with. But they argued the whole time and I had to spend the entire time referring the game...
    Anybody have any ideas for fun things for them to do, that don't require a ton of materials and that they can do mostly independently. Some days recess is my only break and I like to be working on things while the kids are doing their activities, but I"m lost on what to do.... And it looks like we will be having more indoor recess this week...
    :help:

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

We've been in school 2 weeks and have had inside recess every day. It will be that way until the heat index is below 95. (Which means it may be a while!) I have a stack of board games that they can play. Most, though, play with the knex, do jigsaw puzzles, watch the movie (I have several Jeff Corwin's and we watch those over several days.), play on the computer, or just visit. It's not the best solution, but it does give them 15-ish minutes of down time.

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

I wish we had a tv so they could just watch a video. I don't have one in my room. I think I am going to take some of our personal board games in tomorrow so they have something to keep them busy tomorrow and so I'm not refereeing. haha

5. lat'e

lat'e Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

Discovery has a series of "Rainy Day Recess" workout programs that you can download an play on the interactive white boards or Attach your computer to a projector. It is under United Streaming. Most schools have teacher passwords. Also Schooltube has Beyonce's "Let's Move" Campaign. It is a video of various High School and Middle School children doing the dance steps. Last year, my kids wanted to do that instead of going outside sometimes.

6. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

Those sound pretty cool... When my school gets up to date technology I will definitely be able to use those... For now though no smart board or projector for us.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

Playing cards and/or dominoes are inexpensive and can keep them busy for a long time. I find often the kids just like to sit and talk or draw. Do you need to organize something or can they just have self-directed down time?

8. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

They don't have to have something planned per se. But since it is so close to the beginning of the year they do better if there are pre determined activities. Otherwise they just get in trouble :)

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Aug 30, 2011

Do you have access to the gym or are there classes going on? Even if it was 5-10 minutes it would be good for them to actually run around. I am sorry you have to deal with this so soon. In the Northeast we dont have to worry about this until its too cold or wet in spring time. Although Irene has left us very wet. Hopefully it will be dry by the time school starts.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2011

I, too, have a cupboard of games, and I have some toys left from my kindergarten days, like legos. I also have beads and string to make jewelry (just cheap stuff).

11. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 30, 2011

We play silent ball on rainy days. It is basically catch but they cannot talk or they are out. If they throw the ball too hard it is an automatic out. They must be looking at the person they are throwing to or they are out and if they don't catch a ball they should be able to catch they are out. The winner can be a judge next round, win a homework pass, etc. Something free. I bought a small plush soccer ball at the dollar store for them to play with during the game. Any "Nerf" ball would work.

12. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 30, 2011

I wish we could go run around in the gym, but there are other classes going. They played four corners for the past two days. I am hoping they can go outside tomorrow. Darn heat! :)

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 31, 2011

My students also enjoy playing with the math manipulatives - tangrams, pattern blocks, counters, etc.

14. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Aug 31, 2011

I work an after-school program and we do a phys. ed activity everyday. We are in your situation, too! It's been above 95 degrees and we can't do any running or games like basketball or kickball, so my 4th graders have been going crazy!!!!

Mine really love flash cards (I got them at Target for a dollar each) and we play hangman a lot. I also took them outside in a huge shady area and we sat down and worked on different songs. They loved the singing because they got to hear themselves ;)

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2011

Can you do some jumping jacks, toe touches, etc? Put on some music and let them dance?

16. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 31, 2011

I will trying some of these ideas for sure... The heat warning has been extended until Friday. So an entire week inside :( I am so ready for it to cool off to at least 105 haha

17. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 31, 2011

Isn't it awful? I frownded when I read that on azcentral today. We've been having indoor recess at my school as well. I let the kids use mini dry erase boards, puzzles, games, drawing, etc. Luckily I do have my computer hooked up to a projecter where I can also show magic school bus videos.

18. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

This will work with any grade level, I personally learned it from an acting class in college. Have students sit in a circle. Call students one by one to come to the center of the circle and create a "machine" each student stands stationary and needs to move one part of their body in a safe manner. Example: leg up and down. Once all students are in the center and moving you ask them to stop. Then you ask them to think of a noise their machine makes and make that next time you tell them to begin again. Students then create a noise with their movement. This creates lots of laughter and fun in the classroom.

You can also create a class statue. Similar idea: call students one by one into the center. Each student needs to connect in some way with one another then freeze to create one giant statue.

One last game you could play is "7up" You call 7 students to be it and stand in the front of the classroom. Any student who is not called should close their eyes, and put their heads down on their desks with their thumbs up. When the teacher says, the 7 students in the front of the classroom walk around and each pick 1 person by putting down their thumb while tip toeing. The 7 students return to the front of the room and the teacher instructs all students to lift up their heads. The teacher then asks students who were chosen to stand up and guess who picked them. If the student guesses correct they switch spots with the student who picked them. If the student guesses wrong they sit back down and resume playing. This repeats for however long needed.

I used these with my 1st Graders and it was lots of fun!

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

That sounds terrible! Sorry! Indoor recess is the worst. My kids sit in the auditorium and watch a movie for indoor recess or sometimes get to go to the gym. They're NEVER in the classroom. I'm also never with them for recess.

20. traveler

traveler Comrade

Sep 3, 2011

I got a bunch of chinese jump ropes and use them on rainy days. I used to play when I was a kid and noticed that kids don't play it anymore. I am trying for a comeback. :) I found some online for a reasonable price. You can also make them with elastic. We used to do that when I was a kid.
    They are basically a giant rubber band. Two kids stand facing each other with their feet in the rope, stretching it out a bit. A third child jumps over and on the rope. There is more to it but it is confusing to type it out. I bet there are videos online.
    My kids loved using them last year.