Indoor Recess Games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by maebowler, Oct 19, 2006.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 19, 2006

I am a paraprofessional in a first grade classroom in the morning. I am assigned to be one-on-one with my student during lunch and recess. On indoor recess days I also supervise the other students in the classroom, 23 soon to be 24. The other paras check in on us, but mainly it is just me. I don't like having the t.v. on because I think that children get enough of it at home, a generalization I know, and that they don't need to watch it at home. We have had 4 indoor recesses already this year and I am tired of heads-up 7up. We play it the last 10 minutes of recess. Do you have any other group games that can be played in a 10 minute time period? Thanks.

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Oct 19, 2006

I put on a Greg and Steve CD and we dance Freeze Dance and Listen and Move. They beg for more with the Freeze Dance. Then we place 4 corners (a student counts and then calls out 1 of the four cornors and they sit down and the students move again) Cooseeki (a student leaves the room and a student leader is chosen to start making movements that the other students follow and the student that leaves the room has to guess who the leader is. We also play hot/cold, popcorn name game (how fast can you go around the circle and jump up and say your name).

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 19, 2006

We play dodge ball and "shark". Shark is where 2 people stand in the middle of the gym (sharks) and the rest line up on one wall. Then when the adult says "GO" then the fish bait start running toward the other wall. If they get tagged by one of the sharks, they become the new sharks for the new game. The next game the old sharks become fishbait.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 19, 2006

You can play duck duck goose.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 19, 2006

We play quiet ball. After we play that game, the kids will beg me to play it again, even when the weather is nice and we can go outside.

To play, all the kids sit on their desks (You have to talk about how to sit safely first!). Use a koosh ball or a nerf ball. A child throws the ball and the student who catches it will get to be the "thrower" next. The kids who try to catch the ball and miss are out and have to sit in their chairs. Kids who talk are out. If a kid's bottom lifts off the desk, that kid is out. Kids who are out and choose to talk are out the next time. I have a sticky note with two names on it right now for the next time we play. Those two little guys won't get to play! I'm sure they have forgotten, but I sure won't!!

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 20, 2006

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Any more would great!

8. herins

herins Companion

Oct 21, 2006

We play a game (I can only think of the French name right now) where the kids sit in a circle. I choose one name (I have their names written on tongue depressors) and that student stands by the door covering his eyes. I pick another name and show the class, reminding them not to say the name. That person then begins an action which everyone else copies. We yell "come in", and the "it" person comes into the middle of the circle. The leader continues changing actions (which the others copy) while "it" tries to guess who is the leader. He gets 3 tries. Then the leader gets to leave and I choose another leader.

Does that make sense???

9. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

Have former students donate board games to use for students to play during indoor recess!

10. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Oct 22, 2006

We call it Coseeki although I don't know where the name comes from.