Indoor games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pumpkincup, Aug 23, 2009.

1. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

What types of whole group indoor games do you play with your kids? I can only think of 7-up, and I know there are others.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I play mostly content area games: Jeopardy, Math baseball, spelling 'sparkle'...

7Up is more of an indoor recess game for my kids.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

Spelling Tic-Tac-Toe is a fun one.

5. tmc

tmc Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Four corners is a fun one- but you have to be careful about establishing the rules before you begin. My students love it on rainy days at recess. Silent desk ball is another good one, or Hangman.

6. CANteach

CANteach Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Around the world is a great one and you can use it for many different curriculum areas.

7. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Aug 23, 2009

Shoe salad is a HUGE hit. Have kiddos divided into teams (2 or more). All students take off their shoes and make a big pile in the center of the room. I then have all kids sit on their desks/tables. Set a timer and let 1 team at a time try to get all the shoes back to their owners. Record the times and see who wins. It's so fun! (Then, I usually give all the kids wipes and have them clean off their tables, so that's an added bonus!)

Hot Potato (We play Hot Banana because I couldn't find a fake potato at the Dollar Tree!)

Chase the Cat: Find a small stuffed cat and dog. Have the kids sit in a circle and begin to pass the cat. Then, add the dog and the dog has the try and catch the cat. Add, meowing and barking if you would like. It's really fun, too!

Who's Missing!? Have a kid go to hallway. Have another kid be door helper. Have a 3rd kid hide somewhere in the room. Ask the hall kid back and say big "Who's missing?" as a class. Kiddo guesses who is missing. For an added challenge, have kids change their seats while the child is in the hallway! Easy game with no prep or materials needed!

Have Fun!

Good luck!

8. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Thanks for the games, they sound like fun. I really like the sneaker game and "Guess Who's missing".

9. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

Spelling 'sparkle' and 'tic-tac-toe' sound intruiging... can anyone fill me in on the details? Oh yeah, also Math Baseball.... ?

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 25, 2009

With my little ones, if we have an extra few minutes sometimes we play pictionary! I go to the whiteboard and begin drawing something, and whoever guesses what it is gets to draw next. It's great for their visual skills and really gets their brains thinking creatively to figure out what their friends are drawing. It ends as quickly or slowly as I need, and requires no cleanup or materials!

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2009

For indoor recess, my kids love "Duck, Duck, Anything." Basically, instead of saying "Goose" you say anything else--but then both the tagger and the tagged child have to go around the circle as that thing. For younger kids, we've done other types of animals. Older kids can do anything--some creative ones have included blenders, Egyptian Dancers, and (from one smart-alec kid) a runner :).

12. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

We play keep up the beach ball and count how many times students hit it before it hits the ground. Then we try to beat that record.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

Sparkle:Have the class form a large circle in an open area. Ask them to stay standing.
    Tell the students that you are going to give them a spelling word and that it is very important for them to pay attention.
    Say a spelling word, e.g. "chicken."
    The first person will say the word "chicken."
    The next student will say the first letter of the word, "c" The next student would say 'h', If a student misspells the word/says the wrong letter, they have to sit down.
    Have students go around the circle, spelling out the word "chicken."
    Once all of the letters have been correctly spelled out,
    the next person in the circle says "sparkle" and the person after them sits down.
    Keep playing with new words until there is only one winner left standing.