Individualized Programming - Data and Organization

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Aug 12, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

Well, after many HOURS of getting this all together, I am finally hitting the home stretch for my two 1:1 kids.

Basically, I have 8 students. 6 of them are capable of group learning, generalizing skills, etc. The other 2 require intensive discrete trial instruction in order to acquire and maintain skills. We include them when appropriate, but they spend the majority of the day with their personal aides working on basic skills through programs that I design.

To start the year, each 1:1 kid will have 5 programs. There are other skills that will be worked on in addition to this (one kid will be starting phase I PECS, the other kid will be doing a little community work, etc.) I will also add additional programs so the students have between 7-10 programs they work on daily. I will wait to see how they do at the beginning of the year before I add more.

I want to explain my system, because it has worked SO well for me.

Instead of data SHEETS, I do data CARDS. Each skill has a data card. This works well because the kids are constantly mastering skills or discontinuing skills and the data sheets are never up to date. With the cards, we just add in new cards or take out cards. Also, the mastered skills cards all go into a file and we review all of the mastered skills by going through the cards.

Here is a picture of the card file (I have one for each student):
    [​IMG]

The letters each correspond to a program. For now, I only have five, so it's A-E. For example, A= Motor Movements, B=Imitation Skills, C=Matching Numbers, etc. The cards for each program are in the corresponding section.

This is what one of the cards looks like:
    [​IMG]
    The cards correspond to each "set" (if you're not familiar with discrete trials, it just means that the skill is LITERALLY broken down into TINY little parts, so that each part can be acquired).

I also have a binder that includes the printed out programs (descriptions of each skill broken down). This is a picture of the binder:
    [​IMG]
    Notice that there are also the letter dividers here, they are the same for the organization of data cards. Each program is in the corresponding letter section.

Here's what the program sheets look like (there is one under every letter, for each program).
    [​IMG]

I've put all of the materials for the current target skills into this individualized programming tote:
    [​IMG]

Here's what the daily data clipboard (to hold the cards for that day) looks like... next to a set of letter matching materials:
    [​IMG]

Here are some materials for teaching a student her lunch number:
    [​IMG]
    She pulls off each piece and presses the number as she has the piece in her hand, then places it at the bottom. (She can't track with her eyes, so needs some sort of manipulative to get it right!)

Here are some more labeled materials (Which are placed in the bin):
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the bins:
    [​IMG]

And another view of another bin:
    [​IMG]

Close up of the data clipboard containing data cards:
    [​IMG]

This probably makes no sense.... but hopefully someone can make sense of it!

This system has been great for me. I feel so organized this year. It was a ton of work to pre-print the data cards, organize the notebooks, alphabetize the programs, create the materials, organize the bins, etc. But now, you could literally walk in that morning and know nothing about discrete trials and everything would be at your fingertips (all data cards, program descriptions and visuals, clipboards, materials, etc.)

I think I'm feelin' good about this.

3. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

This is so hard to type with my cat draped partially across the keyboard, but wow ... wonderful thread. So helpful should I teach mod/severe students someday. I've seen several classrooms on that spectrum, but was always disappointed by the lack of organization.

So some questions for you: Are those cards their IEP goals or daily or weekly learning goals? How do you determine mastery of a skill? Each student will have from 5 to 7 cards of skills to master, one skill per card, right? Or are there several skills within each category?

I can't tell you how much this helps me frame in my mind how I might approach an SDC class like yours. Thank you!!!

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

Looks great teachersk :). We are heading in the same direction as I'm trying to make my programs all mastery based and related to moving from one step to the next. I like the file card idea. I'm doing mine as file folders and the data sheets along with any materials that fit in them go in the file folder (other things I will put pictures of so that staff can grab them). Each of my students has a bin that staff can keep materials in and would keep them in for the duration of the activity (as long as there is not anohter student who needs the same materials).

The Star Program (which I'm going to use with a few modifications for a couple of my younger students on the Spectrum) is set up very similar to this.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

TimberBlue-

The cards are tiny little steps that will lead them towards their IEP goals. For example, I have a student who has this goal:

Objective: XXXXX will be able to imitate actions performed in a mirror. (10 actions)

The program details how she will achieve this goal:
    [​IMG]

Then the "sets" are the skill broken down into tiny parts. It basically details what should be taught. Sometimes the skills build on each other (such as a forward or backward chain program - like learning a phone number or writing your name) - other times, they are just random skills that at the end will meet the goal.

[​IMG]

So, each one of the cards is one of those small skills (a "set"). The cards (added together) will lead towards the mastery of an IEP goal.

Sometimes I do programs for skills that aren't in the IEP - if it's a needed skill or something that fits well into the program, but it's run the same way. Hope this makes sense...

Oh, and mastery depends on the kid. I have one kid that couldn't get 80% for the life of him, so his mastery level is 70%, because that's just where he is. Some programs have 100% mastery level (such as wiping your butt, really no room for error there.) Most of mine are 80% over a period of 2 days. But, it depends on the kid, ability level, history with that skill, etc.

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!! :2up::cool:

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

You need to find a way to publish this stuff. You do great things!

I have another question. Are your students alternately assessed, or do they have to take grade level standardized exams? I have a couple of students who would benefit from some of your ideas, they are that low, but I have to try to teach them grade level materials because I am not allowed to use alternate testing. One of my children (third grade last year) has finally learned to make a legible mark on a paper and can now toilet himself, but he had to sit through days of testing last year without a clue about what was going on. I was just wondering if you have had to deal with that kind of situation with your students.

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

That is definitely the most unjust thing I've ever read, swan! It should be criminal. I hate to administer alternate assessment b/c of the work involved when I'm also prepping for the standard assessment but it most assuredly is appropriate for some students, and yours is one of them. Shame on your leadership (state, local, what have you) for not allowing it.

9. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Aug 12, 2010

This looks great! I might copy this, if you don't mind? :whistle: Thanks for posting it!

10. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

You're thorough and good at explaining this stuff. I'm hugely impressed and will be able to use certain aspects of this at all grade levels and abilities. The organization is golden. I'm especially envisioning how I could modify this approach for resource students at the secondary level. Thanks!

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

For those of you who are interested in creating "data-based programming" for kids who can do more than imitation and matching skills (I have a wide range of abilities in my class but have several at this level), you can also apply this concept to higher level skills.

For example, I have used this approach to teach addition skills via the TouchMath program - this is what that looked like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can attest to how much work it is to have a "data-based program" for my students... however, it is totally worth it to know exactly what little hitch is keeping the student from achieving the IEP goal. Also, it's great to be able to report to the parents (accurately) exactly where that student is.

This method can be modified to be used with factual information like states, capitals, multiplication, etc. And also more general stuff like comprehension (where you could start out with, "Student will name the title of the story," move to "Student will name one fact from the story," etc. When you break it into tiny manageable pieces, the kids do soooo well. I'd say this would mostly be for kids who have trouble with traditional learning styles and/or students that you're having a hard time with making progress.

If anyone is interested in any of the documents, to have a "shell" to work from, I'd be glad to send them. PM me with e-mail address and I'll shoot them your way.

I have:
    Program description page (what you see above)
    Program data cards (front and back) - description of set + data
    Program data graphs (excel documents that you enter your data into and can see when a child masters something and/or provide this data to your supervisor/district/parents whoever is requesting data)

12. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

OMG!! Teachersk you are exactly what Im looking for. Ive been looking for how to do data for kids with autism. We use subjective grading and I hate it but I cant figure out how to make it work for our program. We just started touchmath and I LOVE your assessment for the touchmath. I will be sending you a PM to get all this information! Thank you for providing it!

13. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

I totally agree. sk, you're like the Debbie Diller of the special ed community. In fact, if Debbie Diller saw all the work you have to do for each student, she'd probably fall out of her chair. And obviously we all benefit greatly from whatever you share with us. You should seriously consider publishing your ideas. I'd be the first in line to buy that book. How many years have you been teaching, by the way?

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

Ha, I just showed my husband and said, "Look, I'm popular!... online!" Lol. Well that felt good. Thanks guys. I work really hard because I love what I do. Don't you worry, "A million pieces everywhere" will be on the shelves at a store near you... soon.

I do plan to write a book one day (that will be when I open my school...)

My school is going to be an institute that trains teachers. My classrooms will be model classrooms for teachers from all over to come learn how to take back those strategies to their classrooms. All the while, the kids will get the best of the best of the best because thats what I want my school to offer. Some day...!

Gotta make my connection with Oprah, first. :)

(I am starting my fifth year as a teacher of students with autism.)

15. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

Sign me up for that training!! and I must pre-order that book!

Thank you again for everything! I dont feel so lost now. I think I now I have a grip on what I want to do in my classroom.

16. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

I would love to open a school too

maybe a satelite campus in california

17. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

nevermind my spilling
    spelling

18. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

I have a question about your data-based program that maybe someone else can benefit from...

In your program, its 1 card per set correct? and once they master it do you revisit to make sure they dont forget it? Im just trying to think if I can have one card per objective per week...and the different sets can be on different lines, since I have 40 kids.

Does that make sense?

Also do you document prompting level? How do you know if a student masters the program but the aide is giving them full physical prompts.

19. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

ame - I'm not teachersk but when we are doing document we have a different mark for completing unprompted and completing prompted. I used to go through all the prompting levels (and stll do for functional routines as the goal for some of them is to get to a certain level of prompting) but for a lot of the tasks we do it is a check for doing it unprompted, a circle for completing task but needing some support and an X for not completing or completing fully supported. Too many Xs means we need to go backwards and make sure pre-requisite skills are still in place.

20. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

The way I keep track of data is this:

I mark the letter for the prompt level. We start mostly with physical prompts to provide the students with errorless opportunities. We fade the prompt as appropriate. So, there are marks such as

P physical
    Mp minimal physical
    G gesture

There are some others. Essentially any "letter" (prompt) data point is a "minus" (-). As in, it doesn't count towards mastery.

When they do it independently and correctly, they get a "+" which would count towards mastery.

So a data card may look like this:

P P P MP G + + + + +

The student would receive a score of 50% for that day, because only 50% of the trials were independent and correct. If a child is unsuccessful with a prompt level, we move backwards.

There are many ways to do data, including assigning prompt levels and scoring them on that prompt level.
    So you could be on set 1 (p) physical. Then any time you complete a trial, they'd get a plus. But its important to note that its much longer for the child to move forward in this case. You are able to have records on their specific performance at that prompt level (ie he scored 70% with a gesture and 40% independent). After set 1p, you'd move to set 1mp, then set 1g, then set 1 independent.

Depends on how quickly your kids progress, what kind of data you're required to take, etc.

Kind of depends on different situations to determine what works.. But those are some ideas.

21. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

As always thank you, In our program, one of our objectives may look like "Jonny will match numbers with 2 verbal prompts" Thats what all of our goals look like. so the prompting level is important with us.

So with errorless learning, say with 1:1 correspondence. I have a few kids that I dont believe understands the concept. They will take all the pennies and put them all in one cup. I would show them (modeling prompt), and do it hand over hand if needed, so they are successful, but they are not at mastery? Thats pretty much what Im doing now, just making sure Im going to be recording it correctly and telling my aides how to correct it.

Im going to be printing out this thread..

22. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

Yeah, you might record

P P P P P P MP MP G G
    which would be 0% independent

Hopefully, you can start to fade those prompts, so at least the last trial is independent
    P P P P P P MP MP G +
    10% independent/accurate!
    Because really, they're not "accurate" if they're getting prompted to do it. I know this varies from place to place, but I hate saying that a kid is 100% accurate with physical prompting. ANY kid could do that! (Well, I do have a few that could put me to shame with that statement! Ha.)

Anyway, I like to record those things.

It's interesting to me when people place prompt levels in goals... because ideally a goal wouldn't be considered mastered unless it was independent... or it would say "with no more than one prompt" or something like that.

In the case of the verbal prompting, you could have the "+" count for when they are at the verbal prompt, if that makes sense.

23. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

that makes sense, thanks again

You should do a video of your class one day so everyone can see your brilliant work. I know, I know theres alot of privacy issues there, but it would be awesome to see..

24. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

Sometimes I do videos of the augmentative communication, structured teaching, PECS, other strategies that we use - and I don't ever show the kids faces. Maybe something like that would work!

All of my kids' parents (well except maybe one) would probably sign a waiver giving me permission to use the kids in videos!

BUT that gave me a good idea - perhaps my "teacher institute" that I have at my school could also do DVD trainings for those who couldn't come to the "live" ones!

25. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

sign me up to buy one of those as well :)

26. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

You're on the list! :)

27. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

I did just email my principal and coordinators about having the verbal/physical prompts. It does make sense if the goal is appropriate then they should complete it independently.

Maybe I can just put "Jonny will sequence numbers independently"

28. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

Yeah, I guess I've heard of those types of goals for very very very very low kids (that have more motor/social goals than academic goals).

But, that's a good thing to bring up that you may want to stick on the "independent" to the end. lmk how that turns out!

I mean, why would you want a goal that says someone will do something with prompting!?

29. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

my school is kinda messed up. Things change alot...We're an autism school but change happens more often than not.

I always think i need to change schools, but I do want to stick with autism

30. teacher619

teacher619 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

I know this was posted a while ago, but this system looks great. The pictures are no longer showing up on the post, would you be able to explain the data clip board and bins?

31. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2011

Hey teacher619.

I made index cards that have each individualized skill program on them. They have a place for the date and the data for that skill. The cards correspond to more comprehensive written out programs that detail the way the skill will be taught. If you are familiar with discrete trial instruction, that probably makes sense to you. If not, I can give you more information if needed.

The bins have the necessary materials for each skill (with opportunities for generalization) etc. It worked amazingly well this year. My paras were able to keep up with the data collection. Everything was alwys easy to find. This is the system that I will continue to use in my classroom because it has been so successful with the kids, paras, and gives me the ability to easily keep up with progress.

I'll see if I can find some pics.

32. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

33. xitalianacutiex

xitalianacutiex Rookie

Jul 15, 2011

teachersk, I love your ideas! I also work with autism/severe disabilities, and the school/program I was at for a couple of years was great too. Your data card idea sounds wonderful and I too, also use prompt hierarchy, etc. I know what you mean about the data sheets never been up to date- what we did was create one data sheet for all of the students with all of their goals on it (it worked) and then put it on one of those small clip boards that we could just clip to our reinforcer pouches or or belt loops. That made the data sheet easily accessible and we were never behind on the data.

34. TCHSPEDPGCS

TCHSPEDPGCS New Member

Jul 15, 2011

I am new to the forum, I am a sped teacher. (20 Years) Last 7 taught k-2 cross categorical in self-contained and some resource. This upcoming year switching to Functional academics/DLS for Moderate cog impaired some severe K-5th, saw your post would love to have the following information e-mailed to me at lgettier@pgs.k12.va.us.
    Program description page (what you see above)
    Program data cards (front and back) - description of set + data
    Program data graphs (excel documents that you enter your data into and can see when a child masters something and/or provide this data to your supervisor/district/parents whoever is requesting data)
    Thank you so much

35. arbelindabay

arbelindabay New Member

Jul 21, 2011

Teachersk, I am fairly new to special ed and would love your templates and information on the match card system. It sounds awesome.

36. emmalux

emmalux Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

Unable to see images

I am not able to see any of your Mediafire Images. Do you know how I can get the images to upload. Thanks, Emma

37. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2011

Try clicking on my most recent mediafire post.