individual spelling lists

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Sep 16, 2014.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2014

1st/2nd grade. Does anyone do this? I know that it will help my kiddos to have different/individual lists of words to work on with their word work stations, but I can't wrap my head around how to organize myself and make sure that each kid has a list each week.
    I also want something that won't take me forever to maintain as I would need 20 plus lists.....

I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback from those that have done this with success! Thanks!

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 16, 2014

I don't exactly give different kids different lists. After a few weeks into the school year, probably after this week, I'll meet with the kids who have been consistently scoring low and adapt their lists based upon their needs. Monday during reading groups I'll meet with those kids and say, "Suzy, mark 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 10. These are the words I want you to work on this week. Billy, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 11." It takes me less than five minutes to assign the adapted lists then it's on the kids' lists and I don't have to worry about it.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2014

I didn't do individual lists, but I had 3 (and sometimes 4) different lists every week. I had three computers in my room, so on Fridays, they rotated on and took their test on Spelling City. It gives the score, so I didn't even have to grade it. Can't beat it!

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 17, 2014

I have done individual spelling lists....never again. I think you can achieve nearly as much by having 3 or 4 different lists. Individual lists are just so time consuming. In 1st and 2nd grade, I especially would advise against individual lists.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2014

I do individual lists in first. I found a folder on TPT that had lots of lists typed out, I print and staple into a file folder. Kids work at their own pace. Parent volunteers come in for a few min each morning to give tests ( the Friday parents usually spends 45 min or so, most other days it's 5-10). No work for me at all.

7. live

live Companion

Sep 18, 2014

We use Words Their Way, which actually made it easy to identify needs and individualize instruction. The book provides lists for various spelling patterns. We have 8 different lists currently, and once they pass their test, they go onto the next list.

8. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 18, 2014

I also use words their way and I currently have 5 lists. I have written the lists on the board and send home the different lists. I was thinking about typing it to tape to tables each week (so they know what to practice during the week). I have first graders and they are confused about what list they are on (although we just started). Then on Friday you have to have some way of testing them. In the past I have done something like write words they are misspelling during writing on a list and add it to the bottom of the words their way list, but that is a lengthy extra step.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

I would group them in 4 or 5 groups and give out lists. I don't think they all need their own list but this would allow for some differentiation without making your head spin on a weekly basis. (Having to keep track of who did which words and making sure you're not repeating them throughout the year sounds like a nightmare.)

For writing I use individual word walls and students can ask me to add words for them or I add words they need for their work. Many students have the same words but each student has ownership over their own word wall and is responsible for using it to edit their writing. This might add a little individuality if that's what you're looking for.