Individual Sight word activities?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Feb 15, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 15, 2011

I am looking for individual sight word activities. Something the students can do at their desk alone with not much help.

I do whole class chants and various activities and I do some type of concentration game with sight words for individual or partner games.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 15, 2011

I have all my sight words written on sandpaper- so they can trace it and be feeling it, hearing it, and whispering it. Those they take to their seat. My word wall is all sandpaper- so the kids can grab it off the wall and return it when done. I also have little popcorn bags with popcorn shaped sight words for them to practice with. I do the parking lot sight word game- you can only park your car in the lot of the words you know. We have sight word stacker cups. Those are all in my ABC center, but could be done as take it to your seat individual work. I also have zap, but it is for 2 players- craft sticks with the words written on them in a cup- kids pull stick and read the word, until pull a zap stick- then count who has most sticks and that person starts the next round. Then I have sight word swat-another two person game for them to use together at the carpet. I have a cute little game board template the kids can use and make their own game- some are thinking of making a sight word game, but have not yet.

4. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Feb 16, 2011

Superspeed reading games are pretty fun for a short time....not everyday. Depending on the grade level, I have used superspeed 100 and superspeed 1,000 for older kids.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the ideas. I need something that is not two player. I like the sandpaper idea. It just needs to be something quick and easy to make or do but also that can be done alone.

Any other ideas?

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 16, 2011

I do not know what grade level you are, but I was talking to the other k teacher today and she is aiming for more writing of sight words. So she has cards with sight words written on them and students need to be writing them on white boards, or they can write them on laminated elkonian (sp?) boxes. We also have magnetic letters and magnetic tiles students can use to spell out the words and get more hands on practice with them.
    I would love to hear more ideas here, too!

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 16, 2011

I could do something with the students writing them. That might work. My only concern is I have students who would just write the words but would never learn the word. Meaning they are writing a word they don't even know what it says. No matter how many times I go over them. :)
    BTW...I teach 1st grade.
    I may even do the letter tiles.

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 17, 2011

This and writers workshop are my two biggest goals for this second half of the year. I hope some more people chime in!
    Do you have computers they could use? Websites like starfall might be good- that way they are hearing it and know the word and then I think it gets spelled out on the screen letter by letter and then repeated.

This may not be helpful, but for centers I have parking lots with the sight words written in each spot and they can only park the matchbox car there if they can read the word, so they have to read it and say it before they can park there. I also have the stacker cups which surprisingly they love. Just plastic throw away cups with a sight word written on the bottom, they can only use the cup and build a structure if they know the word. Then for 1st grade- after building a structure they could write the words on a chart- like a t chart labeled as words I know and words I do not know (maybe laminating a few of these and just briefly checking them over or having kids hand them in for approval or something- save paper at least). Then you know at a glance who knows what words and which they do not that you can focus on. Just kind of thinking aloud here... IDK if it would be that big in 1st grade, but that is probably a next step in my room anyhow.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 17, 2011

The stacker cups would be a good idea but too distracting. I need something that the students can do at their desk during morning work.

10. canellen

canellen New Member

Feb 23, 2011

We use the SECRET STORIES for

We use the SECRET STORIES in all grade levels at our school, K-5, so the kids are able to actually READ/ decode almost everything by simply knowing the 'secret-' (the sounds letters/ letter patterns make when they AREN'T making the sound that they 'should') As a result, we have very few words that actually must be 'memorized by 'site.' For those words that just cannot be 'figured out, as they simply REFUSE to follow the rules, we send them to 'Word Jail!' (aka our 'word wall') As just like the police have to have mugshots of the bad guys who dont follow the rules, so must we 'have pictures' (index cards on a black bulletin board with stripes!!) of the WORDS that 'don't follow the rules, so that they don't keep tricking us in our reading and writing!! Once we can recognize them, however, they can be 'paroled,' so as to avoid an 'overcrowded prison system' (overcrowded word wall!!) but if they do continue to 'offend' then they become a 'lifer,' as we follow the 'three strikes, your out' rule in our school!!!! HA! HA! Kids absolutely love it, as they are in complete control of what words to 'imprison' (aka 'still not spelling correctly or decoding easily) and WHO to 'parole' (no problem!!) and the fact that the SECRET STORIES makes it possible for ALL of them to decode all of the phonics patterns with ease (even my little special ed and esl guys!) means that we can drastically cut down on rote memorization, as the kids can just READ instead!! Hope this helps!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011