individual reading activites

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bobby, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bobby

bobby Rookie

Feb 17, 2012

I teach LD self-contained middle school level. I would like to try dividing the class in half (about 12 students together) and doing guided reading with them. I would take 6 of the students and work with them in a small group.

These students range from reading levels of pre-k to about 4th grade. It would be great if I could do this because there are so many different levels. I have tried doing this in the past, but it's just so hard to control the kids I'm not working with. I would give them an assignment, and they would start moving around, talking, or trying to ask me for help while I'm with the other group. I have an aide only part-time, so she won't be of much help.

What ideas do you have for the other half to work on independently?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2012

The other students could be reading books, working on a specific assignment (where they do not need assistance and cannot ask you), play a reading game, work on spelling words...

You really need to teach the procedures in order for this to work. That may mean not doing any guided reading for awhile until the students can handle independent work on their own without interrupting you.

4. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Feb 20, 2012

It will not let me post the link...so....google the Florida Center for Reading Research. They have tons of great center ideas that kids can do independently. GOOD LUCK!

5. tc.jamaica

tc.jamaica New Member

Mar 2, 2012

Simple Ideas

Why not try some of these:

Before starting the class, why not share to your students what are your objectives for that session or for that week. With this, students will be guided on what they should do and finish. You can also integrate the interest of the students. Give them materials that they are interested with. You may also use verbal contract. Tell them that if they will be able to finish the assignment given to them, they will get a reward.