individual or community supplies????

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by krissy83, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I've used this method with my students for the past two years. For 5 years before this, all supplies were personal. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner! :2up: Daily items are now personal, but crayons, glue sticks, and scissors are community items and are handed out on an as-needed basis. This has worked so much better for me, and also reduces the chance that kids will break and throw crayons, which is always an issue in my school.

2. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

This is a good point. That's why we (our school) ask for specific color pencils, folders, notebooks, etc...

3. yostie

yostie Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I used both personal and community supplies last year and LOVED having community supplies but ran into a big problem... I had a girl with MRSA, then pink eye, then some other kind of sickness, and she passed these things onto other kids. Pink eye just would not LEAVE that groups table... duh! I couldn't figure out why!

I did end up having one of her members catch MRSA as well, but I don't know if it was from the supplies or not. Either way, it scared me enough that I went back to personal supplies. :0

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I don't think I'll ever go back to community supplies again...except for kleenex, notebook paper, and germ-x. It's so much easier to preach personal responsibility to kids when they have to actually be personally responsible, even if it is just being responsible for their own pencil.

5. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I think I am going to have them put one box of crayons, one glue bottle and glue stick, and scissors in their desk. But...if they are caught breaking the crayons, gluing stuff to the inside of their desks, or cutting things into tiny little, teeny little, itsy bitsy, drive me crazy pieces :woot: (oh, sorry):blush:, then they lose them to a community box.

As far as pencils go, there is going to be a new procedure this year that they have two at their desk and if they break them, they may get from the can. If there are none, they may borrow one until the next day when the pencil sharpener has had a chance to sharpen some. As far as special pencils that they win, buy, or bring in, those may be sharpened at the rotary sharpener on the wall, but only during non-instruction time. The last two years, pencil sharpening has been a huge problem in my room. I am looking forward to a better year! :p

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

I'm going to collect the pencils. We specifically put on the list to get certain brands to ensure uniformity.
    They can keep their crayons, markers, glue and colored pencils in their pencil boxes.
    I did the community thing last year with the colored pencils and crayons and it was a pain. Some kids take care of their things and some break the crayons into little bits. When we would change seats no one wanted to sit in the seats where the crayon breaker or the kid who pokes holes in the eraser sat. They would sneak around and find the best crayons and erasers and switch them when they thought no one was looking causing the other kids to chime "no fair!!"
    This year I'm hoping it will eliminate that if they all have their own things.

7. gorgeouskid

gorgeouskid New Member

Aug 23, 2009

I have only individual supplies. I provide each student with a clear plastic shoebox labeled with his name. At the beginning of the year, I supply each box with an 8 count crayons, an Elmer's glue, gluestick, ruler, 2 pencils, scissors, and a red correcting pen. Students are asked to bring in 24 count crayons (then they take home the 8 count provided by the school), 2 dozen pencils, and a dozen blue pens. They keep their goodies in their boxes and may share if they choose, but they don't have to.

I ask for donations of hand sanitizer and kleenex- those obviously are community, though some parents send in small sizes of those items for their kids to keep at their desks.

eta- I keep an informal "student store" in a drawer where I have boxes of crayons, colored pencils, lined paper, packs of pencils, packs of pens (all that I've purchased at Staples/Office Depot during the BTS sales)- this way, parents who can't get to the store can send their kids in with a dollar or two to buy replacements. It's not required, but a convenience for the parents. I keep receipts for everything I buy, and spend the money on books for the classroom.