Individual behavior plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snoopy78, Nov 22, 2013.

1. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Nov 22, 2013

I have a question about using a smiley face behavior plan. I have seen and used plans that had a smiley face, straight face, and frowny face. My question is what's the purpose of the straight face if the goal is a smiley face? I've been trying to figure that out. Thanks!

3. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Nov 22, 2013

I have used it to indicate that it was an okay day. Not a day where the behavior was 100% successf, but not being sent to the office either....just meh.....

It helps when a child is trying, but not necessarily achieving.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

It could be a day where they had a great morning, then by the afternoon, they got a bit hyper and acted up after lunch & recess.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 23, 2013

The purpose is that you want to be able to show steps between awful and great, for example to show improvement.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

I think it's used to document the behavior somewhat 'accurately' A child who is having a tough day because he's not trying at all would get a frown face. The same child can have a somewhat difficult day but he is trying would get a straight face. If he got a frown face, even though he tried, he would probably not see the reason for trying, because there would be acknowledgement.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013

I'm assuming that face would be the difference between a very poor day where something extreme happened and an okay day where the child was maybe off task or had to be reprimanded repeated for something like talking. It's hard to work towards good behavior if you're only giving the child a chance at a smiley or a sad face.