Indirectly Rejected

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Der Herr, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Der Herr

Der Herr Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I looked on the school's website where I recently interviewed and saw the position had been filled. Mind you, I called on Monday and left a message with the principal, and of course I haven't heard anything in response. Not even a rejection letter.

I want to find out what happened and how I could not have been hired, since I really kinda like having a place to live and food...what do I do? Send a letter? Call? Where is the decency of these people, why can't they just own up to things?

3. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jul 6, 2007

That probably means it was filled internally. Or maybe the spot was "technically" filled but they had to list it as a formality. Hate when that happens but it happens a lot :( Sorry :(

4. Der Herr

Der Herr Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I don't think that was the case with this one, I think all of the applicants were external. :(

5. Oldnewteach

Oldnewteach Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I was getting all fired up to apply for a position that got posted late one evening. I called the school board office the next day to ask a question about it and was told, "you better hurry and get your app in, they are already interviewing for that position". The next day, it was "closed". So, they basically already had their person hired before they even posted it. It sucks, but now I know that is the way it is done.

6. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

I know how you feel. I am very upset because many principals don't have the decency to let us know if we did or did not get the job. They could even have their secretary do it for them. Two principals I interviewed with did not call me or send me a letter. A teacher I know told me that they often have someone in mind but they have to conduct interviews and turn in a list of people they interviewed.

7. storyh

storyh Companion

Jul 9, 2007

That happens a lot in AR. I get the run around all the time. The person in charge of interviews, etc. is always out of the office but the position always manages to get filled anyway. They know who they are going to hire or fill it internally. They just post it because they have to and that really STINKS!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2007

I agree, it does stink.

I don't know if you'd consider moving to Las Vegas, but I think there's a German position open at Arbor View High School. You might want to look into it.

9. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

That is harsh. I know some postions must be posted, but why interview and get a candiates hopes up if they know they'll be hiring internally?

I went on an interview on a Thursay evening that was 4 hours north of where I lived. I got a rejection letter on Friday with the mail. There is no way they mailed that thing Friday morning, so it makes me think I wasted gas money on going on this interview that they never intended to fill. UGH. Makes me want to quit and become a banker or something.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

A friend of mine interviewed for a posted position and felt something wasn't right because the people doing the interview seemed very nonchalant about the whole process. She never even got a call back or letter saying anything. She has since found out that they had already been given a list of applicants to choose from and the interviews were a show they were putting on to make it appear they weren't playing favorites! TACKY!! She ended up getting hired by one of the top high schools in the state anyway so they can "Take That"!!!

11. storyh

storyh Companion

Jul 10, 2007

Amen alphabet! I am always saying that if I could figure out something else to do with my life I would become a banker or something. :)

12. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

There's so much stuff out there that you could do with just having a BS in Education. Too bad I just really really want to teach.

I've noticed that the smaller schools I've interviewed with will give me a rejection phone call instead of a letter. So at least I know.

13. WindyCityGal606

Jul 10, 2007

What part of Illinois are you looking in?

14. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

anywhere in the entire state. I plan to look out of state as well next year if I don't find one by August and have to go back to the substitute-day/retail-night route. unfortunately, I have a family of five to take along with me, so any big moves will take a bit of time.

15. WindyCityGal606

Jul 11, 2007

Have you been to the job fairs for Chicago? There's one coming up on July 20th and then again on August 10. They already had two...one in May and one in June.

16. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

der herr-have you considered trying to contact the principal again? i know of several people (i live in ohio too!) who have successfully made contact w/the principal (via e-mail, etc.) after NOT getting the job. they have simply asked him/her what they could have done better in the interview, if that's why they didn't get it. ohio is an extremely political place to get a teaching job...most of the time you have to know somebody. however, there may just have been someone who was slightly better qualified, had more exp., etc., and perhaps they'd be willing to tell you that too. just a thought...good luck and don't give up. -meri

17. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

There is nothing else I would rather do, except teach!!!
    I agree, I think this whole hiring and interview process HAS to change.
    Many school districts know who they want to hire even before they post the positions. The school I interviewed with last week said the application deadline was July 6. They were doing their second round of final interviews that day. Why do they do that? I have decided it is better not to even get my hopes up anymore.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 11, 2007

That's the point I'm at too so you're definitely not alone. I graduated in 2005 and have interviewed for 13 positions since then. Out of all of those rejections, I think I've gotten maybe 4 or 5 letters. All of the rest I was just left to assume I didn't get it. It just seems to be the way it's done a good majority of the time.

19. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I actually plan to attend the one at McCormick Place that's on the 20th. I've got my father running around the southwest and south side to check out schools and give me some names to look up for the job fair.

It seems very confusing to apply with CPS though.

20. Der Herr

Der Herr Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I know that the guy that was hired was not in the district already; at the interview they asked me if I could teach a section of French as well. I can't, so I pretty much knew I was sunk, and I thought it was pretty shady since I drove four hours for the interview and wouldn't have bothered had I known that. I'm so sick of the games they play. I saw a posting for a part-time position elsewhere, and I don't even want to apply because I don't know if I can afford part-time, and I anticipate an offer soon with a school to be their technology coordinator. I think I'd really like that job, though it's not what I've really trained for. Long story short, I'm looking outside of education now because of all the stupidity I've seen and maybe I'll try again next year.

21. WindyCityGal606

Jul 11, 2007

I'm so sorry to hear you have to look elsewhere. Remember to keep yourself in there though because some people wait till a week before school starts to retire or move. Best wishes to you, whatever you end up doing!!