Indiana Teachers...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by KinderBelle, Jul 14, 2009.

1. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

My husband and I are moving to Indianapolis next summer. My mother in law teaches in a small town in IN and she told me it's pretty difficult to find teaching jobs there. I'll be going into my fourth year, with experience in both K (2 yrs) and 1st (1 yr). I know I'm a little premature with this post, but I want to brace myself for what to expect. I noticed jobs aren't posted online. How do you find job postings?? THANKS!! :p

3. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 14, 2009

It is true that it is pretty difficult to find teaching jobs in this area. I am lucky to have worked in 2 different schools, but both of them kind of fell into my lap...kind of "right place, right time" kind of situations. I have heard some crazy statistic that for every job posted there are like 250 people applying.....sorry not trying to make things worse for you... :) Anyway, jobs are posted on individual school district websites and also on the Indiana Department of Education website. Good luck. I would say it is never too early to contact schools and principals in the area you will be moving? where in Indy will you be?

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

I don't think finding jobs in Indiana is really any more difficult than anywhere else at the moment. ISP has laid off and RIF'ed about 400 teachers. However, I do think the surrounding areas continue to show growth; Fishers, Carmel, Avon, Brownsberg and Shelbyville. Finding job postings is a little more difficult but the Indiana DOE does have one https://dc.doe.state.in.us/doeonline/jobbank/search.aspx

Not all schools use this so it is by no means a true listing of all avaible jobs. I think youf best bet is to use the INDOE website and just blanket the surrounding districts with your resume. Do you have an Indiana license yet?

5. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

We're thinking about moving to the Fishers area. I have a FL license, not IN yet. I guess I have a year to do some research...

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I moved to IN with a WI license--the process to turn it into a reciprocal license was confusing. I would recommend calling someone right away, instead of trying to work through it on your own! (Although, mine might have been more difficult because it was also an initial license...and I'm still trying to figure everything out!)

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

I would also suggest you look at the Indiana DOE website for the checklist for apply for an Indiana license with an out of state license. Did you have to take the praxis for your FL license? Also, there it might be easy if you have enough teaching experience.

Good Luck and let us know if you have any other questions

8. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 16, 2009

It is true that there are not that many opportunities for employment here in IN. Our school district did hire some, but not nearly as many people as previous years. However, if you are a good dedicated teacher I'm sure there will be a spot for you somewhere. Don't give up hope! ;)

9. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I did not get a job my first year out of college. My second year I only got a half-time position. The 2nd semester of my 2nd year out I got a full time job. There are at least 200 appplicants for every el ed job posting. I do know teachers that found jobs the first year out. You just have to be positive and aggressive. Jump on any lead you hear of!