Indian Week: easy to make recipes for the classroom ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Peachyness, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2012

So, I teach in an afterschool program and each week we have a different theme. Each month we focus on a different country as a way to teach kids about the world. In December we will have India week.

I'm having a tough time finding recipes that are kid and classroom friendly. We have a cooking cart with a grill where we can turn it into a stove if we need to. We also have a microwave and a blender.

Any ideas? It needs to be made within a 50 minute time frame.

One idea I just had: mango lassi

I, personally, love Indian food. But I don't have any kids of my own. This is my first time cooking with kids. So, I also am uncertain about what to make with them that won't be too spicy or too strong of a flavor.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2012

Naan would be fairly easy to make on the grill. You could keep it plain or add different spices (garlic!) for different experiences.

4. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Oct 30, 2012

Mango lassi is tasty and seems like the easiest thing to make and eat in a short period. A lot of Indian food takes hours to cook or is a little more adventurous than I'd expect most average kids to be up for. You can always tone down spiciness of any dish, but the flavors might still be a bit too different for some kids.

How about pakoras of some sort? You could do vegetables and/or cheese. They are easy and pretty quick to make. I don't know if you'd want kids doing the frying part though.

There's also tandoori chicken that could be done by grilling marinated chicken pieces and serving with rice. I still like the lassi idea best (and you could do other types besides just mango for variety if yo wanted). Either way I'd test it out before the big day.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2012

Pappadums cook up pretty well in a microwave and come across like spicy chips; mango lassi and pappadum should make a fine combination.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

Oooh, pappadum! That's a good idea. Okay, I'll play around with the recipes. :)

Thanks, guys! :)

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

Samosas, daal.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

I thought about samosa, but worried it might be a bit too much work... although I DO LOVE samosas!!!

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 31, 2012

Now, I am just hungry. I could eat tandoori chicken every meal for a while.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 31, 2012

How about some chutneys? I love Indian food! Now I am in the mood to go to the Curry House!