Indian Headdresses

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bloom, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Sep 30, 2009

I am going to be presenting an art lesson on indian petroglyphs to kindergarten students. Thought it would be fun to have them wear indian headdresses during the lesson.....anyone know of a good (easy) craft I could make to give to them for the lesson, or a cheap place to buy this item? Thanks!

3. museumteacher

museumteacher New Member

Sep 30, 2009

I wouldn't do Native headresses unless you are specifically teaching about a group who utilized them. Since most petroglyphs are ancient we wouldn't know much about their head gear.

You could try projects that relate the ancient native culture instead. I've had luck with carving petroglyphs into clay. I've also had students paint symbols on foamcore that I painted with fleckstone in advance so it looked like they were painting on rock. You can then have them tell the story represented by their symbols which can be a nice literacy/storytelling tie in.

4. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Sep 30, 2009

We are working on Indian petroglyphs...I have the art activity planned (carving petroglyphs into drywall cutouts)....just thought I would get them into the mood with some physical attire while working. Any other thoughts for enhancing the mood instead of headdresses museumteacher?

5. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

This is not what you asked for, but you (or others reading here) might be interested in some of the articles in the sidebar of this blog: http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/. The blog is written by a Native American woman who is also a professor and scholar, and the sidebar has tons of articles, some of which discuss teaching about American Indians in a culturally sensitive way.

Not exactly light reading, and it probably won't help you out with this particular activity, but it definitely provides food for thought.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  6. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 30, 2009

I agree about no headdresses. Fun? Yes. Historically correct? Not at all. Only about a dozen plains Indian tribes ever wore the famous feather headdresses; other tribes in other geographical areas wore other head gear or nothing at all.

Also, since these are kindergarteners, I foresee trouble balancing something like that on their head while trying to work at a table...

Just my 2 cents.

7. museumteacher

museumteacher New Member

Sep 30, 2009

How about music as a mood enhancer? Some Native American drumming might be a nice experience.

You can do some basic stuff with then and now for that age group. You can explain that the petroglyphs were made by people long ago and the music you are listening to was made by Native Americans who live today. I've found that kids (of all ages) have a very hard time understanding that Native Americans are current people with an active culture...they tend to think of them as "once upon a time" so that is always a big topic in my Native America lessons.

8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 30, 2009

Slightly off topic--but there are often Pow-Wows in my area---complete with dancing including candy dances for the ickle kiddos. http://www.wellsmaine.com/Harbor-Park/candy-dance.html (Not from my area, but a good example)

But anyway, a bit of research could show you what sort of headgear went with what tribes for a more authenic experience. :)

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2009

As someone who is 1/4 Native American, I thank you all for your kindness and sensitivity. As someone who was taught a lot of WRONG stuff in my youth, I thank you again :)

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

Could you find a video of a pow wow online somewhere to show them?