Index card files???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teaching4God, Jul 2, 2009.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

Ok so I teach 5th grade Science, Writing, and Social Studies and I just got a really great deal on some index card boxes. Need some suggestions on what I can do with them. Any ideas?

3. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

You can write the vocabulary words and definitions on the cards, divide them by subject, and keep them in the box.

4. Erin12170

Erin12170 New Member

Jul 2, 2009

I use index boxes to keep stickers that I put on graded papers. They can also be used for writing prompts. If kids finish their work earlier than others, then can pick a prompt from the box to write about for extra credit or something. I teach 2nd grade but just an idea...

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2009

I use one for my tardy slips for the year :) I don't think that is what you were wanting though.

6. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

Hey, My tardy slips are small printoff stickers that always get fall out of my student files. These are all good ideas. Keep 'em coming.

7. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 2, 2009

I use a file box for my detention cards - Each student gets a card and I write the date and a brief description of why they had to go. They keep the same card all year. It helps when parents or principal asks about behavior. If I run out of room on one card, I just staple another on.

I use them for science quiz cards - this is what the students do while waiting in line to go home instead of visiting.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

I'll echo using them for stickers.

Erin~I love the writing prompt idea.

How about for students dropping off parent notes? You could have one in a designated spot, and students can put any notes from parents into it, and then you can go through them during you prep or lunch.

9. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 3, 2009

Good ideas.

10. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

What sizes are they? You could use them for filing bulletin board letters. You could make "help cards" for students to keep on their desks and then file them in the boxes when they aren't in use. You could come up with short activities for early finishers to put on index cards and file them in a box.

11. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 3, 2009

Could you use them for math manipulatives like counters, spinners, tens rods/ones cubes...etc.?

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2009

Well, I am glad I was helpful after all...

Funny story about that. My first few years teaching, I was at a HUGE school that was always busy. My bookkeeper and the office staff could barely keep up. Then I moved to my current small school. At the end of the first year, they asked for all my tardy slips and book keeper reciepts :spitwater: No one ever told me I was supposed to keep them. I hadn't ever at my previous school. Turns out, the bookkeeper was supposed to keep all of these things on file. Luckily, I had kept a few attendance slips in files, and most of the bookkeeper receipts. Oh, I felt so dumb!

13. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 3, 2009

I keep an index card file of all the neat web sites I hear about from you guys! Many times during the year if a parent requests something extra they can do with their child, I usually always have a few web sites to direct them, too.

14. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 3, 2009

I use index cards to label almost everything (in Braille). I use them to label piles of sheets for my students so I know which music score it is or which syllabus it is. I paperclip the index card to the back of the pile to facilitate quick and easy reading and slip them off right before handing out new scores/syllabi. I keep and reuse them for future piles of sheets.

You can modify this for your use. You can paperclip an index card onto the front of the pile and label what the pile consists in marker for quicker and easier distribution.

I also have a file of index cards with my students' names and contact information as well as their parents' contact information. I have them alphabetized and kept on two rings so I can refer to them easily whenever needed.

15. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 3, 2009

They are 3x5 card files.