Independent study

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elena3, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Elena3

Elena3 Rookie

Oct 14, 2019

Does anyone teach independent study at a junior high or high school? What is that like and what are the pros and cons of being an independent study teacher? Basically what do you do as an independent study teacher?

3. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 15, 2019

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is what you mean but I kind of do. I teach for the digital academy for my district. I teach 7th grade social studies. Students work through at their own pace using the materials I have created. I am in the process of creating two more middle school classes in this format.

Elena3 likes this.
  4. Elena3

Elena3 Rookie

Oct 15, 2019

Thanks for responding. I was referring to alternative Ed independent study programs for students that may not fit in to the traditional classroom environment. I saw some openings in my area for these positions and was wondering what they were looking for.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 15, 2019

I don't have specific experience with independent study but since you haven't gotten many responses, I wanted to say I've heard good things from people I know who have been in these positions. You are often working with students who haven't done well in the traditional classroom, and working with them in a more one on one environment can be rewarding as they often are more successful and motivated to finish their studies. Personally, it's a job I wouldn't mind having myself.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 16, 2019

Well the online classes I teach are for those students who have failed traditional classes or have other circumstances that have made traditional classes difficult. Are there options this you are talking about that are not online?

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 16, 2019

This is my 2nd year teaching independent study, I was teaching in the classroom at the same school for 5 years. (we have both programs)
    Pros:
    - you really get to know your students. You will have about 25-30, depending on your school and spend 1 hour a week with each student. (at our school they come once a week for their hourly appointment) You can really talk to them and get to know them
    - absolutely no behavior issues. The kids will not need to misbehave, act out, why would they disrespect you, you're helping them. There's no audience of a classroom for them t act crazy. I haven't heard a student say a cussword in a year and a half.
    - no lesson planning. Everything is already planned and are all on the computer, you just print them out and assign them. You can modify or differentiate
    - no reason to stay late to stress. Whatever doesn't get done, will get done the next day.

Cons:
    - lots of grading. You need to stay up on grading otherwise it will become you lol
    - lots of paperwork but you can get used to it, lots of clerical things with timesheets of kids, etc.
    - the biggest challenge is some kids don't show up. We have specific measures in lace that lead up to dropping them, so you just follow
    - if you do this too long, you will lose the reality of teaching in a classroom, behavior management, lesson planning and even execution, etc. I taught 2 English classes in addition last year and now 4 ELD classes, so I won't forget how to "teach". And I do still love classroom teaching.
    - sitting on your butt too much (watch out weight gain lol)

I do love what I'm doing. The first year was a bit of a learning curve, not bad at all, by this year I finetuned everything, and it works very well. I hope to keep doing this for a very long time. No stress is #1 reason.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  8. LynnL

LynnL New Member

Oct 20, 2019

I am also on my second year of being a independent study teacher but I am also the schools math teacher as well. I spend the majority of my time teaching 6th-12th grade math. Students are required to attend a math support group once a week for an hour if they are taking math (ten students or less generally). As for my individual independent study students, I have about seven at the moment, in 9th, 10th, 11th grade, I see them for an hour a week. I agree with the pros and cons from the previous post. Paper work is a lot but I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world. Honesty, I would never go back to teach in a normal school setting.