Independent Reading

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TulipsGirl, Nov 20, 2013.

1. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Nov 20, 2013

I'd like to establish a really strong independent reading block with my students... I'm wondering if you might share some routines you use to make it run really smoothly. For example:

1) When do your students "shop" for books? How many do they keep in their bags?

2)Do they respond to their reading somehow? in a journal? With worksheets that ask for characters and setting, plot etc?

3)How long do they read independently for? How do you build their stamina?

Any other tips and tricks that you find really helpful? Thanks so much!

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2013

We have a dedicated book shopping time first thing Monday mornings... half the class goes out for a special, and the other half trades out their books. I ask them to have 5 books, 4 they can read plus one to look at (Where's Waldo, harder nonfiction, etc)

They usually have read to self for one rotation of "centers" in the mornings - about 15-20 min. Kids who don't go to intervention right after lunch might have an extra independent reading time depending on the day.

My two highest groups take AR quizzes on their books, but I don't have my lower groups do any responses or anything. I'd rather they spend their time actually reading...

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2013

My class starts with a morning reading time every morning. It is a time where they can share as groups or read alone depending on what they want. It also gives them an opportunity to select books or put books into their minds as a future read. When we clean desks (which we really only use as personal book shelves) they have to narrow it down to four class books and one library book. They also visit our school library once a week. We also do a once a week book share as a whole class to introduce the children to other books they may not have thought of.

I also have them trained in my own modification of Daily Five. So they do both partner reading and solo reading a couple times a week during workshop. They can read for around fifteen to twenty minutes now. It takes about three weeks to get them from three minutes to twelve in stamina and then about two more weeks or more depending on the group to get it lengthened to twenty minutes.

I do not have them do a written response on a regular basis. I have the partners do a checking for understanding. The students also go to solo read a lot of the time for the finished early thing.

5. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Dec 3, 2013

Thank you both for your helpful responses!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2013

I use The Daily 5 (like many others on this site). That is a fantastic book that lays out lessons to help establish good reading routines and build stamina. My students can work independently on reading and word work for 20 minutes. It´s a book worth checking into.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 3, 2013

I also use the Daily 5 structure to help my students build stamina. We start at 3 minutes and gradually increase the time. Currently we read for 10-15 minutes. I don't have them respond to their reading - I want this to be for pure enjoyment. My kids shop for books whenever I remember to give them time :). I'm really bad at remembering!