Independent Reading

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Sep 10, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 10, 2010

When do you start introducing independent reading if you do not know their reading levels yet?

The kids are so ready to read but it will be a few weeks before I know exactly where they are.

What would you do in this situation? Plus it would really help with idle time when some of my higher students their other work faster than others. They can just go and read their books.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2010

We start reading workshop (and reading independently during this time) on the first day of school. I quickly introduce the 3 ways to read a book: read the words, read the pictures, retell the story.

Even if they can't read the words, they can read the pictures.

4. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Sep 11, 2010

Check out Kathy Collins Growing Readers or the Daily Five...they give you a nice pacing outline of what you can do to build up the stamina on independent reading time and what you can do during these mini lessons...I just finished the 3 ways to read a book, and we've been Reading to Self for 4 days now..one class is at 3 minutes (started at 30 seconds before we stopped them lol), and the other class was up to 2 min 30 sec, but went back down to 1 min 45 sec yesterday..they really like the challenge of building their time and stamina as a class, and have done really well staying quiet at this time. I'm going to start choosing Good Fit books (IPICK) on Monday. Good luck!

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 11, 2010

We will be going on the 2nd week of school and I have not started anything in regards to reading yet.
    I guess I will talk about the ways to read a book and try to build stamina.

What type of timer do you guys use?

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 11, 2010

I use the Daily 5 too (but I speed it up a bit since the kids do it in 1st too, so they are now familiar with the program).

It seems kind of silly, but one thing I noticed is that when I introduced some bean bags, crate seats, and other neat chairs, they started enjoying reading a lot more. When we model, I show them all the different ways they can read, as well as showing them that they can lay down and read (they always love when I do this). I have realized over time, the more comfortable they are, the more likely they are to want to "stay in one spot" and "read the whole time" like our chart says. I have several rugs in my room where they sit or lay. Most of the time they spread out all around the room (and I'm pretty laid back about where they pick... some are under tables, desks, etc, my rule is anywhere as long as they are reading), rarely do they sit at their desks to read.

I have two nonspeakers this year, and both of them enjoy this time too! They probably didn't understand much of my introduction, but we did a lot of modeling. The little boy just looks at the pictures, and the little girl chats away as she is "reading" the book. It's super cute :)

By the way, I have a powerpoint someone from my county sent us on picking a good fit book. If you would like me to send it to you, PM me your email!

7. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 20, 2010

I make a reading list for my incoming class. Over the summer they are to read the different books. The books vary in difficulty, but the students just see a list. The first week of class I ask the students what they read from the list of books. Of course you have great variance but it does give you some idea. This idea does not help your current situation, but may be useful in the future.

By the way, I loved the previous posters idea of letting them read wherever they are comfortable. I will institute this in my classroom.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2010

I just use my classroom clock to keep track of how long they read. I don't use a timer because if it dinged, everyone would stop reading. I let them read for as long as they are able to do so. If they go past our goal time, I will let them know and we will pat ourselves on the back or something. They always love it when they exceed our goal time.

9. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 21, 2010

My class has a book time from 12-12:30 after they get back from lunch. It is a great down time and while the kids are unwinding and/or looking at books I can get some assessing done. (This is also drinks and bathroom time.) I've done some quick testing so I know who is a reader and who still needs to work on letters. It took them a couple days to understand that this was a quiet time. I also now have time to meet with students one on one to check on progress with sight words or to have a child read to me. At times I have an aide so there is 2 of us working the crowd. My group last year was much higher and really into "reading". They often went past the timer I set. This group on average isn't quite there yet.

I also have done some little booklets with the kids. So, if there is free time they can read the books or color the pages. Keeps them busy when they finish work early.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2010

We start reading on day one. Even if they are just familiarizing themselves with the books and learning to enjoy them during the first days, that's good enough for me. Then you can go on and assess and place them in their appropriate reading groups.

11. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

Try the DAILY 5!!!!! I love it. We've been working on "Read to Self" everyday for the last (almost) 3 weeks and the kids are now up to 15 mins. of solid independent reading.