Independent Reading Time

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1stGradeNewbie, Aug 21, 2007.

1. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I have about 20-30 minutes of Independent REading time each day. How do you structure your time? I have about 4 tubs of books (and I put them in the tubs in the 4 corners of the room) and they spread out in the room and look at books. Do you have them being able to sit by another person? (I've had some that have done some talking) Do you have them partner read? I have some kids that ask me what certain words are while I'm with a student. Do you have them ask a buddy/partner? These are just some questions I have.

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I rotate between partners, individual reading, and guided reading. For example, on Mon. Student A will read alone, B & C read together, and D is reading in a group with me. Then Tues. A might be in a group with me, B is alone, C is alone, and D & E are partners. I let them sit wherever they want - but we have lots of discussions about how to do this quietly, how to be a good partner, how to get to work, etc. If someone is talking too much, I just put them alone for a while and tell them they have lost their partner privilege. I also use the 'Ask 3 before Me' rule, which might help you as far as interruptions. When I'm with a group, they cannot disturb me unless someone is hurt or the school is on fire.

4. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

The book, Growing Readers by Kathy Collins has some really good ideas about organizing a reading workshop that includes minilessons, independent reading time and partner reading time. You may like it. :)

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2007

Have you ever thought about having the kids keep a "book basket" or their own personal collection of leveled books?? For example, instead of putting them in corners in groups, maybe have them keep ziploc baggies, or plastic baskets with their leveled books for the week. Maybe teach them the neccessary reading strategies that they can use while reading which should eliminate them having to ask you words. This is all apart of reading workshop. I suggest you look into a reading workshop approach to teaching reading. Preferably Lucy Calkins' books or Kathy Collins book mentioned above.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

I use Reading Workshop- the kids are dong independent reading during reading time. The structure of the workshop is:

A mini-lesson; a 'give it a try' for students to practice the work intorduced in lesson, Independent reading work time · Sharing time for closure at the end of the workshop.

Classroom library:· A variety of books and materials are available to students· Books are organized by either level or genre. My kids shop for books once a week and have individual bins for keping their books in.

Teachers meet with individual students to determine if students have appropriate books for independent reading, confer about reading work and assess.