Independent Reading Time/Reading Block

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

How much time do you allot daily for independent reading time? Centers? Mini-lessons?

Basically, how do you break up your reading block, and how long is your block?

3. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I did some reading this summer because I wanted to learn more about teaching reading.. I picked up a book called Reading Essentials by Regie Routman, which I loved. I would like to implement some of her ideas.

She writes about breaking up your reading block into three components...Independent reading, shared/interactive reading and guided reading. She writes about the importance of independent reading and how it's usually the first thing to be cut when teachers run out of time. She recommends students read independently for 30 min daily and teachers should use that time to conference with their students.

Our literacy block needs to be 2 hours 30 min. I plan on doing 1 hour of writing, 45 min for guided reading, I would like to do 30 min of silent reading, which leaves 15 min of shared/interactive reading.. I do social studies right after literacy block and I can add time to the shared/interactive reading during social studies. :D

4. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 25, 2009

My guided reading is in the morning-30-45 minute block (we use a basal and this is where I fit it in)

Independent Reading- 30 min. after lunch I spend this time conferencing with students, setting goals etc.

Small Group reading-1 hour in the afternoon I run 3 groups a day. during the first group no one is out of their seat (everyone else is working on writing or seat work experiences) this is when I work with my lowest group (who often need to have the least distractions (for both them and me)). After that the groups switch and go to work stations.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I scheduled Reading Workshop (independent reading) for an hour which included my read aloud, mini-lesson, independent reading time with conferring (usually 30 minutes), and sharing.

I also had a 40 minute period for the textbook in which we focused on fluency, vocabulary, text features, etc. This is the time when my resource students were pulled out, I did whole group and small group instruction, and students practice with their partners. Students then had a list of choices to work on which included vocabulary, spelling, grammar, and writing extension. These activities were usually from the practice book or textbook. Certain activities they were allowed to work with a partner. They had to complete a number of activities each week.

My writing workshop was an hour which included the mini-lesson, writing with conferring, and sharing.