Independent Literacy Activities....

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SophieLou, Sep 12, 2010.

1. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

HI ALL...
    This is my first post and I need your help REALLY badddddd!! During our literacy centers, I have 9 students with low academics/social skills divided into 3 groups (I also have 15 other students who are average in academics/social skills). While I am meeting with a group my TA is also meeting with a group. That leaves 1 or more of the lower groups unattended. I have tried giving them play-doh to make the letters of their name, use magnet letters, and other various hands on learning activities. My problem is, they can't do any of these things independently!!! They end up fussing or just getting really loud. I have some parent volunteers put not on a daily basis........ any advice is appreciated!!!

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

Maybe a book on tape? I'm sure some of them would have trouble starting and stopping it on their own, so you could get a splitter where the whole group is listening to the same story. That way you could hit play for them before you start with your group.

Can they not do these centers independently because they are unable to remain on task, or are the activities too difficult for them, so they wind up frustrated?

4. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

It could be a little of both. The group as a whole do not know their letters... not even the letters in their names. I have had them doing ABC puzzles, self-correcting rhyming puzzles, white boards... they just don't understand what I want them to do... not even with modeling. They lose interest in just about every activity I put before them. They do pretty well on Starfall... but I can't let them use that all the time because other students want a chance on the computer as well. I think I am going to start giving them some fine motor activities like cutting play-doh and clipping magazine pictures... at least they will be working on pre-writing skills. I know eventually they will begin to mature and will be able to complete tasks independently...

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 13, 2010

What about name activities? It sounds like letters don't have any meaning to this group of students. You have to find a way to make the letters meaningful and then they will start to understand what letters are and be interested in learning them. Here are some name activities to get you started. Here are some other literacy activities I use in the beginning of the year to motivate students.

6. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

Thanks for the ideas!!