Independent history/social studies work ...???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs Teacher, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

Dec 22, 2013

Let me begin by saying this is not how I would run my social studies/history block... this plan is coming from administration so I have no choice. That being said I need help and would love any suggestions.

We are no longer going to be teaching social studies/history. Our admin wants us to use this time (30 minutes) to run intervention blocks for reading or math with a small group. We have been directed to sit at the horseshoe table with our 6 intervention students and work with them uninterupted for 30 minutes. During that time the rest of my class (22 kids left) are expected to work silently and independently on something related to social studies or history.

Here are some concerns I have. Depending on who I work with in my intervention group, the rest of my students (grade 5) have reading levels that range from 1st grade to 7th grade. There is no time to introduce a topic or go over instructions. Also, we don't have any textbooks. The intervention groups can vary so you may be with me one day but working on your assignment the next day.

What on earth can I have them do?? Essentially it feels like they'll be teaching themselves... I'm at a loss..

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 22, 2013

Wait, wait, wait... to clarify... you are being told not to teach your students history for the rest of the year? What kind of morons are running your school?

Anyway... I don't really know what to suggest. I'd probably go with independent research projects based on major civilizations, I guess. Give them guidelines and have resources available.

4. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

Dec 22, 2013

Yep. :mad::dizzy::mad:

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 22, 2013

And this is how I end up with high school students who don't know why July 4th is "Independence Day."

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2013

During science and social studies I'm much more likely to make heterogeneous groups. That way I can stick a leader or high student in each group who will make sure that everyone is included and participating and knows what's going on. It won't be easy if you don't have much time for giving our directions- but maybe you could take some time Monday to give out directions for something they're supposed to work on for the week, then give them some sort of project that they can do independently. Then you can count on your leaders or higher students to make sure things run smoothly within their group.