Independent Book Boxes

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachnRox, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 18, 2008

I am looking for ideas for independent book boxes/tubs/pockets anything! Here is the senerio or my issue in my classroom. I have a small room. Used to be a 6th grade classroom. I have individual student desks, I would prefer the books not go inside the desk (they get lost, and I think there are trolls in there that steal books! :lol: ). I don't have or want to purchase shelving, and I don't have much to spare anyway. I would prefer students not to get out of their seats to get their books, in a small room that drives me crazy:blush:. I know I am making this difficult....any ideas out there! :unsure:

3. hockey1021

hockey1021 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

I am having each child bring in a cereal box. I am going to try to make cereal boxes as their book boxes. My classroom is small too, so I think I am going to place these on a table so the kids can get them in the morning and keep them at their desks. We'll see how this works.

4. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 18, 2008

I used those plastic envelopes from Staples or Officemax. They are wide enough for bigger books. Personally, I'd prefer the clasps over the wrap around string. My students turned it into a contest to see how could eat their string the fastest....or so it seemed anyway.

6. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

I am glad you asked this because I love the idea of book boxes yet I tried it this past year and I felt like it didn't work. There was no place to put them and I didn't want them always on their desks.

I bought ice tray bins from Target and put labels with their names on them. It was nice but I ran into the storage problem.

I would love to hear what people do for this as well.

7. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

You said you didn't want them to keep the books in your desk so my idea probably won't be helpful, but this is what I do: at the beginning of the year I give each student a gallon sized ziploc bag (the heavy duty freezer kind) that I label with their name. We call them our "library bags" and had a long talk about how each student was responsible for their own personal library, etc. The bag was not allowed to be taken home, and was easily found if lost in the classroom (they were clearly labeled). It worked really well for me this year, but I didn't try putting any big books in them or anything that would stop the bags from sealing.

8. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 19, 2008

book bags

I did that too, except ours could go home and I had them put in their decodable books in them. So, no hard/paperback books were in there.

I love everyones ideas, I had a friend who did the cereal boxes a couple years ago and tied them to their seat. I don't remember them staying on that long, though. I am tempted to hang a gallon bag on the side of everyones desk, with a piece of packing tape. But I think the trolls like tape! :lol: That way it isn't in the desk or on the desk, but still visible. I do this with their tardy/early release passes when they walk in....they just slip them in the bag next to the lunch count table. Keep the ideas coming, thanks for all the suggestions! :)