Independent Assessments

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jul 25, 2020

I began teaching at a new school last year a month before the shutdown and am trying to get plans going for next year. At my previous school we conducted SLO's (Student Learning Objectives) which involved an assessment that I put together to cover a semester or year, and test student growth. This was independent of state testing and was used for part of my evaluation. At my new school I was told I cannot put together my own test...that it has to come from "multiple research-based growth measures or alternative assessments that are rigorous and comparable across schools within the district". The document says that textbook company tests can be used. My issue is that I do not use (or plan to use) the class textbooks. I use AMTA (American Modeling Teacher's Association) curriculum for Chemistry and Physics and am putting together my own Earth Science curriculum. I apologize for the long post, but if I cannot put together my own assessment test are their any specific assessments out there that people who are dedicated to aligning their curriculum to NGSS standards could recommend that would be free for me to obtain? The former teacher used the textbook resourced ones and I don't feel that they reflect what I will be teaching (more memorized facts than the concepts I will be focused on teaching which is more what NGSS is geared toward). My principal is swamped trying to figure out this new year, and I am always left more confused after asking questions about this than before! Any suggestions are appreciated!

3. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jul 25, 2020

I worked at a Modeling school too and we aligned our exams to our standards, which we made based on the modeling curriculum.
    I think your question would be an excellent question to send out on the modeling listserv. I. Sure experienced Modelers would know.
    Some of the questions on the Modeling worksheets do come from researched backed sources that were peer reviewed. Is there anyone at the district level who is a modeler who can help?
    Jane Jackson has the list of research that backs the AMTA's work. She periodically posts it on the listserv.
    I'd send out an email to the listserv and ask there.

4. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jul 25, 2020

Another option would be to use the textbook company's test questions and "modelize" them. In other words, make them open ended and remove M.C questions.
    Does your district allow you to administer the FCI? You could use those questions too.