Independence

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by jennie24, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jennie24

jennie24 Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

Its only the beginning of the second full week of school and I already have parents breathing down my back. I am a new 4th grade in class support teacher and I have this student who needs to have his homework written in his planner for him everyday, as well as having his books to go home with put into his book bag every day. How do I get the parents to understand that their child needs to learn himself how to be responsible for completing this task? I have no problem reminding the student and then checking to make sure that it was done but I just feel so frustrated because the parents expect me to do this for the student all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could use to help this student with the task of writing the homework in the planner everyday and getting the correct books into the book bag on the child's own? PPllleaasse help! :confused:

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 23, 2006

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH we went through the same thing. Here is how I motivate my second graders to do things on time and by themselves. "well, Ok, I understand that you don't want to do that right now. That is fine. You can come and do it during RECESS if you like....just let me know!" I keep a very straight face and pretend that it is REALLY a choice!
    I have also said they could do things during their computer time, library time, P.E, Lunch, etc. if they like. Believe me-it works everytime! I feel that children should learn that the teacher is in charge and the whole class does not revolve around that child (like parents think they do!)

4. jennie24

jennie24 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

Thanks! That really sounds like a great idea. I know my students definately will not want to give up their recess or any other specials they may have. I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. :)