Increasing chances for Elementary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JerseyEnglish, Jan 8, 2008.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jan 8, 2008

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with teaching high school and going into elementary. I a full year replacement for a teacher on maternity leave in a high school. I have to say that I do enjoy teaching, however I find that I am always overwhelmed by how many students I have (151 to be exact). Also I have discovered that it is a challenge for me to always find activities that keep my students engaged in learning. It was much easier and I enjoyed being with middle school students more (I completed both my junior field and senior field of student teaching in a middle school setting).

Anyway here is my question. I graduated with an English degree and certification in Secondary Education (K-12). I took the Praxis II and passed. Do you think that taking the Praxis I would help my chances in being considered for elementary and middle school teaching positions for the following year? Any advice will be appreciated.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2008

You're certified in Secondary Education, K-12? Usually secondary is 5-12 or 7-12 or something like that.

If you're certified K-12, you're obviously qualified to teach any grade level K-12.

As for being more marketable, I really don't believe that taking and passing the Praxis I would make you more likely to be hired. Instead, I think your best bet is to consider adding on an endorsement or certification in a shortage area, like math, science, or special ed.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

I have a degree in elementary education, and even with an endorsement the hightest grade I could teach is 8th. And with a secondary the lowest you can go is 6th (don'tquote me, that is in my state) If your license is secondary maybe you can go for 6th. If I were you I would call around to a few colleges and see if they can give you a definitive answer.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2008

In any case, Praxis I is basic skills, not elementary education content: if an exam will do it, it will be one of the elementary ed Praxis II exams.