Increase in Child Abuse & Neglect During School Closings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RainStorm, Mar 22, 2020.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I found this article to be very interesting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...demic-experts-say/ar-BB11vLnF?ocid=spartandhp

Of course it makes sense -- parents are under huge stress with no outlet or break, economic needs are paramount, and the world is very "out-of-control" right now. And with the schools closed, the biggest safety net for neglected and abused children, the observant teacher, administrator, or school counselor, is no longer physically "there" to notice and report concerns.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 22, 2020

I predict a rise in all types of domestic abuse, suicides (not just now but in the "recovery" period after the "social distancing"), and crime (both property and victim) to the point where the cure ends up being equal or worse than the impact of the virus itself had it run its course.

RainStorm and Backroads like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 22, 2020

Depressing but understandable.

I believe in the proverbial village, but I also believe it's primarily the family's duty to be a decent family. I totally get how many families were left in a childcare and job lurch, but it's sad and rather telling how many simply can't parent.

I suppose my ideal would be that every family already had a support system and network in place.

But so many weren't ready.

Let alone the families that weren't exactly hanging on in the first place.

5. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 22, 2020

And that's part of the problem. Many parents, especially those who don't work and don't try to work, only see school as just that, a break. And I'm talking about the bums. Those who sit around all day smoking weed playing Playstation, those who come to the school dressed like hookers, those who have the kids for no other reason than to have the "peace of mind" of knowing that as long as they keep having kids they'll keep a check and other government benefits. So yea, for them, school is the ultimate daycare center.

No one is forced to have children.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 22, 2020

Don't forget about the opioid and meth head addicts.
    And no matter how many kids a person had they have to work, there are no easy government benefits thus many kids are hungry because these jobs don't pay enough

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2020

I worry about my kids. They have lots of family issues. Being home 24/7 is not going to be good.

mrsf70 and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 22, 2020

The majority of our parents do not work. Our state has probably the most generous benefits than any other due to profits/ savings, and federal money that I won't go into on here.
    We do have some very neglectful, dysfunctional parents though. Some of our kids are playing video games or wandering the woods unsupervised.
    The culture here is so different from the lower states though. Most parents just want their kids to be happy. All of the time.....I don't worry much about physical abuse. There is 1 kid though that I really worry about his safety because no1 watches him and he has even younger sibs. Someone I know saw them wondering towards a road.
    Plus, there is probably a lot of psych abuse in the sense that these unstable parents are probably freaking out about the virus in front of their kids. ( Causing the kids to worry...)
    They are staying home now because we have reported cases of it here now in a very small population.
    I was at family's last night and was shocked on my way home. The roads were empty which is very unusual on a Sat. night. The schools have bussed out combinations of breakfast, lunches, and weekend food supplies to people. The foods are not healthy, but they are things a kid could eat without cooking. So no1 should be hungry at least. Plus, any1 who has lived here long, buys food in bulk.
    I really miss the little 1 who is road wandering more than anyone. I hope nothing bad happens to him or anyone.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 22, 2020

This describes about 75% of our parents minus the hooker part. It is too darn cold to dress that way here.

whizkid likes this.
  10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 23, 2020

Unemployment office or teachers? Teachers are teachers and not unemployment officers. People do work from home, are part time, or simply entrepreneurs. Some people are disabled. They might not have a physical disability that you can see but they might be mentally disabled. If you're not a disability lawyer or judge then you can't speak on who qualifies.

And furthermore there are no jobs and even less jobs that pay enough to justify some people with no transportation having to spend their checks on gas. Plus healthcare is a mess as well as childcare. When it comes to poverty, if it's a multiple income family then it's actually more expensive for some people to work outside the home but that doesn't mean they are not earning an income.

Why not offer job listings or reach out to HR managers to help the parents in your areas get hired?? What are their skills? Or do you assume they have no job skills?

What I'm sensing is supremacists views, and stereotypes of a certain group which is why the world is messed up.
    Plenty of "PlayStation players" put in 100 applications just before they get an interview. This is the way it is for a certain ethnic group, it takes many many years to get hired because of people like you guys.
    Research shows a black person with a college degree has less chance of getting hired than a white high school drop out. So stop thinking you are a harder worker and that the parents of your students don't work hard and don't try, instead look at your own and tell them to practice equal opportunity hiring practices.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 23, 2020

All I have to say is that I truly hope we go back to school before June 4th (our scheduled last day of school). I (literally) talk to hundreds of parents a day (as I've said in other threads, admin in my district are in charge of serving breakfast and lunch to students over these next few weeks) and they all ask over and over again when school is starting up again. Everyone needs a sense of normalcy in their lives again. This is not a vacation for students or teachers. I'm very sad right now as I ponder the thought of my kiddos missing out on the entire 4th quarter (they already missed the last week of the 3rd quarter).

ETA: Another question I get asked often is, "Does my kid have to flunk the grade their in right now?"

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 23, 2020

This is definitely a concern. I just saw on the news that the week reports of child abuse/neglect were down significantly this week, and they said about 40% of those typically come from teachers. They are encouraging people to still call in/reach out if they see something, but how are people supposed to see something if we're all isolated? They also mentioned resources for people in domestic abuse situations- being able to call or facetime for support, but how are you supposed to do that if you're forced to be in the house with your abuser 24/7? There is nowhere to "get away" to call said resources.

I too hope that we are back in school this year. I am having a hard time with the isolation and I'm not living in a home with issues. I would like to go back to structure/normalcy for myself as much as for the kids who depend on school for structure.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 23, 2020

I worry about our kids who I know have rocky home lives so much especially right now.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

Hahahahahaha! I feel bad for laughing, but shoot.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

It's despicable but unless they require a license to breed (must pass written, oral, and psychological test, financial check, age minimum, etc.) the degenerates will just keep popping them out and then letting all of US take care of them. People should not be relying on schools to feed their kids. Yes, people fall on hard times intermittently but..come on!

Heck, they do a house check when you try to adopt a dog from an animal rescue. They want you to have a stable home (a nice yard helps) and the means to take care of a pet. And yet children are treated worse than pets. It's insane.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

You are one smart lady!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

Yup. And my dog is superbly taken care of LOL