Incorporating vocabulary

Discussion in 'High School' started by a teacher, Jun 29, 2015.

1. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Jun 29, 2015

It seems to me that just assigning vocabulary words to study and then testing students doesn't accomplish much. I want to teach subject matter vocabulary in a way that kids will incorporate it into the work they do in the classroom. Does anyone have any proven methods?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2015

Choose words that they can use to discuss and write about whatever you're reading at the moment.

4. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Jun 30, 2015

I'm looking for something more systematic. Plus this is for art classes.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2015

I love my word wall. I think the key is to not just put it up, but reference it daily. I constantly point to the words, I might use it as a word bank for a quiz or assignment, I'll have them pick words to use in a story, whatever it takes to constantly have the kids looking at the words. I think it's worked very well.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2015

How much vocab are you required to teach? Since its art, you could incorporate some creative interpretation of each word. Have kids create posters or illustrate the words in their sketch pads. Utilize the cob in yor lessons. So a unit on perspective, you'd be teaching what perspective means, foreground, background, etc...and then have students demonstrate an understanding by pointing out how each concept is demonstrated in their own pieces.

7. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2015

Good ideas! As far as posting words, aren't kids likely to ignore them if they're not forced to use them in an assignment?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2015

Sounds a bit dorky, but how about having someone with a bell who gets to ring it every time they hear the vocab word? The ringer could be changed every 15 minutes or so. I think other kids would listen just to trip the ringer up and find the words before he/she did.

9. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jul 1, 2015

So force them. Make using domain-specific vocabulary correctly part of the requirement for any writing they do in your class. I know squat about art, but if they have to write a short analysis of a piece of art or a reflection on one of their own pieces, require them to use that vocabulary in their writing. They can keep vocabulary logs with the words, definitions, and an example/illustration of the word in their notebooks for reference. A word wall is also a good idea.