incompetent coworker

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by starbucks, Sep 17, 2009.

1. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

We have a new K teacher this year that is incompetent. She is not new to teaching. She was actually hired a few years back and has (unsuccessfully) been teaching other grade levels. When a K position became available this year she begged and begged our principal to allow her to move (again). She told everyone how much she wanted K because it would be easy. She said that she wanted to teach K because the kids are so "cute" and that she was looking forward to teaching kids that wouldn't have the behavior issues that the older kids have. Well, the "cute" kids are eating her alive! She has absolutely no control over them and has absolutely no idea what to do with curriculum. I have tried to help her. The other K teachers have tried to help her, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I know that it takes time to adjust to a new grade level. My first year of K certainly was not my best, but I was willing to accept help and work on becomming better. She has no clue. I really don't think things will improve. She just isn't cut out to be a teacher. She has tenure so it will be really hard to fire her. She has already failed at the older grades so I have a feeling that the district will let her stay in K because they feel that at least she is not teaching the levels that have to take the state testing for NCLB. I don't think that I can stand to watch what she is doing for an entire year. I feel so bad for the kids. I don't see how they will ever be ready for first grade. She thinks that she got all the behavior problems and low kids. That is not true! Kindergarten is such an important year and is the foundation for future learning. Has anyone else ever had to work with someone who is totally incompetent?

3. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

YES!!!! I have. But she didn't have tenure. However, this week was her last with us and she moved on to another school because we lost a unit. Every year it was the same old story..."she got all the BAD kids". I'm really struggling with the ones I got from her class because they are more aggressive and have already developed the habit that they could just tell the teacher they weren't doing whatever and could wander around the room doing what they wanted. I'm pretty frustrated.

She even told one of the parents she was going to insist the office retest one of the students who was repeater because he already knows everything we are learning right now...hello...K starts off with this is a, this is b....but we pick up the pace quickly. I think she just wanted him out of her room.

The admin love her and always praised her and basicly let her do whatever she wanted which ticked off ALL of the staff! I personally always felt like if she's so great, why the heck am I killing myself to do so much when it doesn't take much to impress them...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a great year once I reteach proper classroom procedures.

4. k-tchr

k-tchr Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

It is very hard to work with someone who is incompetent. We had a teacher that also had tenure and was so rude to students. She taught early childhood. Thankfully, she retired! It is sooo hard to watch when the kids aren't getting a nurturing, caring, competent teacher. Have you gone to the administration and voiced your concerns? We did and our administration started monitoring her class more often. Good luck!

5. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 18, 2009

Persoannly and I apologize for being rude. But, she lives in a fantasy world if she believes all this about kindergarten.

6. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 18, 2009

Ooops, can't spell today. Personally. Is that right? :)

7. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 18, 2009

Starbucks, I agree 100% with you. Exactly.

8. jae

jae Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

Last year I took over a long term sub position 3 weeks into the school year for a teacher who believed that all the students should do all day is play without structure or routines. I agree that there is great value in play, but they also need to have time when they have teacher lead instruction--the kids aren't going to teach themselves to read by building with legos all day. So when I came in I changed her schedule to match what the other team members were doing--it took a lot of work to get the kids on track with routines and schedules because they didn't have any before, but we did it and there were LEARNING-- the sad part is when she came back 5 months later, it all fell apart within days and she would just complain that she had the lowest kids and all the behavior problems-- I LOVED that class when I had them and it broke my heart to see how her incompetence affected those children.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 19, 2009

BTDT a million times :lol: It is true that ineffective teachers always blame the kids. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I've got the worst class!" or "My kids are just BAD!", this gives ineffective teachers an excuse to not teach and just give up. Good teachers will examine their teaching and adjust it to meet their student's needs. If something isn't working (curriculum or behavior) good teachers will try to find out why and fix it, ineffective teachers will blame the students, admin, or the curriculum.
    I could write a whole book on ineffective teachers, they are the ones who give good teachers a bad name!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2009

Kinda makes you want to re-think tenure, doesn't it?

11. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

Yes it does!

Thanks everybody for your comments. There really isn't much I can do. I guess I will have to sit back and see if the administration takes any action. I think she knows that things aren't going well, but tries to act like everything is great because she was so over confident coming into this position. I will continue to offer my help, but I can't teach her class for her.

12. aubrey32513

aubrey32513 New Member

Sep 19, 2009

hire a hit man

there are people that would take care of your problem. ha ha
    I just teach an hour of Kindergarten. I am a science prep teacher, and I really had no idea of how much effort, planning and skill the K teachers have and do. I am learning still, how important routines are to those little guys and girls. I think middle school or high school is sooooooo much easier.
    And the amount of stuff on the board, media, etc. I bet it would take several days to move a K class. One afternoon for a middle school classroom. I respect you all!

13. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

This is so sad when this kind of thing happens. The poor children are the ones who will suffer, and also the next teachers who will get these children. They won't be learning the basics of their education. Some of the people who get into the TEACHING field makes me wonder who in their RIGHT MIND encouraged them to become teachers. I personally think that the "SUMMERS OFF" might have been a GREAT incentive for such people. Do you continue to keep such teachers, in the name of "THEY'VE EARNED IT", or do you give them the ultimate advice, "GET WITH IT :eek:OR GET OUT!?"
    I'd go with the latter!:D
    Rebel1

14. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

I know exactly where you are coming from- I know a teacher who has been teaching for a number of years- probably close to 15 or 20- who has been in K the whole time. Over the years, as the curriculum has changed, she hasn't- she is still the play-all-day type of teacher. An aide who was in her class just last week said that while she was teaching a group of kids, three of her 'problem' children were sitting by themselves in a different area of the room, just playing with blocks- she put them there because she just knew they wouldn't listen to the story...:eek: Then later in the day, she told us "I just don't know how to handle things this year, my kids are so horrible"....it is sad.