Inclusive 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by 4myclass, Aug 5, 2007.

1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

self-contained 5th grade

When I was told that I was teaching selfcontained fifth grade, I immediately thought of those all-inclusive resorts. Somehow, I don't think this is the same thing.
    I am a little worried about how to schedule everything. Any ideas? I am overwelmed coming from Pre-K. I taught everything there, but I knew what I was doing. Now I feel lost . How much time do I spend on each subject. Do I touch some subjects only a couple of times a week. I am really stressing out . I am trying to get into my room, but the school is empty. I will be the only 5th grade teacher, so I have no one to ask, but you (of course).
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2007

Is this a private school? By all-inclusive, do they mean that you will have kids with varying disabilities in the class, or does it mean that it is a self-contained room where you will teach all subjects?

I've taught 5th for 6 years in a small school where I was the only 5th grade teacher.

4. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

Very small rural district. Self-contained classroom. All the grades but 1st and 5th have two teachers.

5. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Hi! I totally understand! I was new last year in a small, rural school, and I too was the only 5th grade teacher. This is the amount I do for each subject:

Reading - 80 minutes every day(school-wide)
    Writing - 45 minutes 4-5 times a week
    Math - 45 minutes every day
    Social studies, 30-45 min 2-3x week
    Science - 45 min 2x week
    Spelling - 20 min every day (school-wide)
    PE - 30 min 2x week

Of course, this doesn't always happen every week. I hope this helps!

6. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

Thanks SnowDaisy, it does help a lot. Have you tried working out a schedule for this year yet? I can't really until I get the Lunch, Library, PE, Music, and Art schedules.
    I would love to see how you put it all together.

7. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I haven't gotten this year's schedule done yet since we all schedule specials as a staff. We have to work around everyone else's schedules. It's really tough. What we're doing for art, music, spanish, and technology is what we call "Afternoon Adventures". Every Tues and Thurs for the last hour, the kids will go to one of the classes for the whole quarter. These are taught by the 4th-7th grade teachers in my school (I'm technology). I think that'll really help with our scheduling problems. I'm heading to my classroom today and I'll find my schedule from last year so you can see it.

8. hoosier teacher

hoosier teacher New Member

Aug 6, 2007

It's likely that inclusive means that you will have students with disabilities in your classroom. They will have IEPs (individualized education plans) that have been created by a special education teacher. I imagine the students will have a scheduled resource time during which the special educator will provide services. In lieu of this, there may be a special educator who co-teaches in the classroom at specified times. As the classroom teacher, you will need to be aware of the IEP goals and agreed upon modifications for each student since you too will be responsible for providing these. Inclusive classrooms are designed to provide special education services in the least restrictive environment. Another benefit is that other students who may not qualify for special education services can also benefit from the diverse instruction methods used.

On the issue of a schedule, specials, speech services, resource services (if a pull out program is used), Title I, and a variety of other things will impact your decisions so rough one out and be prepared to change it as needed. In our corporation, elementary teachers are expected to provide instruction in every subject daily. This makes it difficult when you want to do a special project or science experiment so cross-curricular units are a good choice.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2007

I am an inclusion teacher for fourth grade, though I have students of all abilities in my room. I guess you should expect to be pulled for IEP meetings and complete AIP forms (or whatever you have in your district). It's not much different from NOT having inclusion students... but... sometimes I feel I need to teach concepts more creatively. I am inclusion math in particular.