Inclusion

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by brandigilliard, Oct 20, 2006.

1. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Oct 20, 2006

I am a first year teacher and I have a kindergarten inclusion class. I am having the hardest time getting them to do anything. I only have about 3 kids that can do anything independently. This makes it hard to do centers with them. I feel very overwhelmed right now because everything that I try doesn't work with my group.

I have 90 minutes to do my reading block. It is so hard to keep my kids "entertained" while I am doing small groups. Does anybody have any suggestions???? What makes it even more difficult is I have some that can't right their name and I have others that are reading very well. HELP!!!!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2006

I think you need to do more whole group stuff right now. For centers they really need to be able to listen and follow directions better.

4. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

I've tried that, but my principal is TOTALLY against whole group.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 24, 2006

Can they do prereading skills puzzles like hidden pictures or find differences between those two pictures? Word file folder games (with pair)? Can they work in their "handwriting book"? Can they play a sequence game? can you find a small reading/writing type craft? Try finding something they can do quietly and seated. Only you can gauge wheather they can do any of these activities.

Also try rotating activities every 20 min so they don't get bored too soon.

6. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Oct 24, 2006

It really sounds like these kind of students WOULD benefit from the hands on activities listed by the last post. My centers tend to last only 10 mins. each.