Inclusion Science Tricks of the Trade!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by atkhorses, Mar 20, 2015.

1. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Mar 20, 2015

Hello compadres!

This is my third year teaching SpecEd Inclusion in Biology (9th). I have been working on a masterpiece of tricks: mnemonics, word associations and visuals especially this year. I have placed several youtube videos about 5-6 minutes in length (Amoeba Sisters) onto my resource section on my teacher web page. With all the technology available, hopefully, some students will find this useful! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on where to find more information or resources. As each new topic came up, I have studied and found ways to connect words (you know those big ole, long ugly biology words!) to stories, etc. I will link what I have so far, might take me a day but I will get it on here. I feel like I may have left off some really good teaching ideas that I could use to spruce up as I prepare for the upcoming Review.

Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts and tools!!
    I will get that file on here!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2015

If you haven't gone to hhmi.org, you are missing a great resource. They will send their resources to you free of charge since you are an educator. I also recommend NSTA, go to the freebies for teachers - lots of good stuff. Also, if you don't follow Science News and Science News for Students, you are missing some gems.

Please share when you are done collecting!

Thanks

4. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Mar 21, 2015

Thank you both for the ideas. This is my first year in Biology as the inclusion teacher and many times often fill useless.

5. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Mar 22, 2015

Tricks and thanks

Lynettstoy, thank YOU so much. I LOVE the hhmi.org website. Going to the NSTA now. Can't thank you enough. We will be using iPads next year so teachers received theirs last week to 'learn'!! I have already been able to grab quick visuals for the kiddos and it is really driving some interest with the kids and not just my spec eds., which is awesome--able to get those low and slow gen ed pops!!! I will be working throughout the day on my resources. I will post when ready.....if I ever get off these websites you've shared!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2015

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the science articles in Readworks.org to go along with the other sites. You can find articles at varied reading levels, which works well. Additionally, the Scholastic series tend to run almost the same articles across the age ranges, meaning that if you are studying Ebola, you can find an article written for 9-12 Science World, another article for Super Science, written for 5-8, etc. This is a case where if the district comes together and shares, you can have varied reading level sets that cover the material without leaving anyone out. I even find that science articles end up in the math magazines, the current events, and you get the picture. Hanging on to one set of each resource allows you to use it in the future. I believe that you can also use these on Ipads with internet connection. I would think that would be a wonderful asset. Oh, and don't forget that you can access older issues in the archived section, or by subject matter.

Last, but not least, I would suggest Newsela.

https://newsela.com/articles/?category=science

It seems like I had to sign up, but it was free.

Good luck!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2015

I second the recommendation for www.readworks.org . It helped me with a lot with specific articles for various reading levels in a health class.

8. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Mar 22, 2015

WoW

This is terrific stuff. I'm going to begin with these new resources for the lesson we are covering now: photosynthesis! Upcoming this week, we will begin body systems. I will add what I find to my current tricks/resources. I work with an excellent Bio teacher. He is a Bio major and if it wasn't for him, I would not know what I do today about Biology. He is a gem. We started our co-teaching 3 years ago....Bio, Physics and Chem. Whew! 3 preps the first year for me and SpecEd paperwork. I am glad for Bio only this year, I can really focus ON IT ALL! We have excellent turnout for tutoring and test prep for kids reaching for these connecting tips.

When you think about it, there are so many specifics to each year of core classes these kids take, it's really great to see when they understand. As teachers, we teach (or I do) one prep 6 periods a day. Imagine how much better they would be if they had that much of a window!! Of course, we have much more going on than just presenting a lesson in one class period, too: assessment, CR management, interruptions, etc!!! I love Bio and teaching.

We teach a great deal of root word meanings and kids seem to pick up the concepts easier than just memorizing one of these long, ugly bio words, phospholipid bilayer can send their minds sprinting in another direction in a heartbeat!!! They have definately learned prefixes which can be a plus in other courses as well!!

One of the most helpful, I think, is when we teach genetics and coding we use All Teachers Go Crazy when coding in DNA and All U Go Crazy when coding RNA. It's a little effort to remember the trick, but when you do, you can validate the right codes for DNA and RNA. I will have kids ask me 'miss, what is that blank blank go crazy, I don't remember it all' and when they do, it seems to stick. We tell them transCRiption before transLAtion-----CR before LA in the alphabet. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for in Body Systems!!

We have been covering Photosynthesis and the kids seem to get hung up on Reactants and Products. 2 unfamiliar, infrequently used words. So, for the photosynthesis formula--oh not more capital letter and NUMBERS mixed in!!! (run)---no come back---the reactants mix together (much like mixing up a cake) and they make an end result, or a product (much like your ingredients make a cake). A simple example over and over repeated makes the connection. Boom, they got it!!

I'd better go just wanted to give you a few examples of what we are doing and what I am looking for. I know the district wants to see us using the technology so I will look for examples to pop up on the iPad and show and interject while the lesson is presented by my co-teacher-bio-guru!!

thanks again