Inclusion and Writer's Workshop

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by crazylady, Dec 15, 2005.

1. crazylady

crazylady New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Hi everyone. I have a question about inclusion. I am an inclusion teacher at an elementary school. one of the classes that I go into does writer's workshop. I have seen some workshop models that are good and very structured-- this one is not. the students i have in there struggle with writing "pieces to be published" Any suggestion that I make (ex. letting them use a diagram, planning map, outline, etc.) are shot down because the teacher wants them to write and look at authors' craft and model it in their writing. I think they need to learn how to make a decent sentence and a plan before writing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can modify this kind of classwork. I am really struggling and feel like I am being no help to the students at all!! Thanks!

3. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Dec 15, 2005

If the students are on IEP and it is written there in the IEP thatthey can use models, diagrams and graphic organizers then she is out f compliance with the IEP. If it is not in the IEP I would suggest that when you othe yearly mtg. it goes in there so that the kids have the choice of using it.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 15, 2005

Well, crazylady, I don't think you sound so crazy here. I would think that teacher would be interested in following your suggestions if the students are struggling so much. Of course the graphic organizers sound like a good idea. Do you ever see them outside of their classroom?

5. crazylady

crazylady New Member

Dec 16, 2005

Oh I forgot the reason that my suggestions are refused. I am a lateral entry teacher with a psychology degree. I am trying my best to help the students, but it seems like everything i learn about different strategies to use are refused because the teacher says the class material is already modified, or the students are just lazy!! Some I believe are just lazy, but others I think just need a different format or a little more structure. This workshop model is all new to me too and I am having a difficult time with it. I can teach students to organize their thoughts and plan, but I don't know anything about author's craft and different types of literature!! Anyway- any suggestions are appreciated!! I really want to help these students, but it is so hard working with the regular ed teachers. Inclusion is new to all of us!