Including Field Experiences on resume?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissCNJ, Apr 6, 2014.

1. MissCNJ

MissCNJ Rookie

Apr 6, 2014

I am trying to update my resume. I am currently at my first teaching job, as a head teacher at a private preschool. My experience other than this job includes substitute teaching (at the same school) and student teaching. My position right now is only part-time and I would like to find a full-time job in another school or district for the coming school year, and my resume definitely needs some work.

My main question is, with such little experience, should I include field experiences from college on my resume? I have experience in preschool, kindergarten, first, and third grades from these practicums. However, they mostly include observations and a couple lessons and one full unit that I created and taught. I just wonder if this is relevant information since I did gain some experience using different Math and Reading/LA curricula.

Thanks! :)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 6, 2014

When I was on the interview committee, I would briefly scan the field experiences listed. Everyone has that so it's nothing to help you stand out. I'd leave it off.

Bulk up the points under actual experience instead.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2014

Personally I think you could leave off the student teaching but keep on the substitute experience, at least until you have more experience and more jobs to add to your resume.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 6, 2014

I put my field experiences in my resume when I was looking for my first job. I did a bigger chunk on my actual student teaching and then just listed my field experiences with one line each. My lines looked something like this:
    ****** Elementary, urban setting,3rd grade reading, 9 weeks

So it didn't take up a ton of room but I was able to show that I'd had some experience in every elementary grade level/subject matter and rural, suburban, and urban experience. I wouldn't include any settings that you just observed in. I took my field experiences off my resume after I had my first year of actual teaching experience.

6. MissCNJ

MissCNJ Rookie

Apr 6, 2014

Thank you for your replies, everyone! :)

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 6, 2014

I would include substitute teaching and student teaching, but leave off observations or single lesson type teaching.
    We all did that as part of the teaching credential.
    I only had student teaching and about 2 years subbing on resume and it was ok. Most new teachers have no teachnig experience, other than subbing or student teaching, because everyone has to start somewhere and everyone knows that.
    You already have a job, even though it's part time, so you're ok.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2014

I only included my student teaching experience, not all of the field placements I had. If you are going for elementary jobs I would put in the elementary student teaching experience. In my state you can be licensed for preschool and not elementary or PreK-2nd grade. If your state is like mine including the elementary experience might be worthwhile.

9. MissCNJ

MissCNJ Rookie

Apr 7, 2014

I try to give myself this same advice all the time (we all have to start somewhere), but always end up doubting myself. It helps hearing it from someone else. Thank you!! :)

10. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 8, 2014

I put my student teaching & field experiences on my resume, but that is because I have no work experience

11. spedNJ

spedNJ New Member

Apr 9, 2014

I'm also currently in my first teaching position. As I start looking for something new for next year, I've included my student teaching placements and my practica on my resume. My practicum placements each involved teaching two hours every day for a semester, so I got a lot of planning and instruction experience from them. I also include them because I'm trained to teach K-12 and the practica show that I've had placements all along that spectrum.

If what you really want to show is the curricula you've used, you may be able to work that into your cover letter. Particularly if you can find that the school you're applying to uses something you've used before.