Include reason for leaving in cover letter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Schlteacher, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Schlteacher

Schlteacher New Member

Apr 5, 2012

I love the grade level and subject I'm currently teaching, and I'm only leaving because the department is being restructured and my position will be eliminated. Would it be wise to include this in my cover letters, so they don't wonder why I'm looking for a different job?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2012

That's a good question- I wondered that also. If I'm filling out an application for my home state I say something along the lines of having an enjoyable and successful experience in my current state but being ready to move closer to home. It just seemed logical then because I didn't want them to see my current address and wonder why in the world I'd be applying so far away. In other letters for nearby cities I haven't really said anything.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Apr 5, 2012

I was in the same position, and I didn't include in my cover letter. I made the cover letter all about the employer and what I could do for them.

If they bring it up in the interview, then talk about it. But, I don't think you need to include it in your cover letter. They are more worried about what skills you bring, not if you were laid off in your last position.