Include grad credits on resume?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachMathNJ, Mar 13, 2014.

1. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Mar 13, 2014

I am applying for elementary teaching jobs. I have a BA in El. Ed. I went back to school to earn my MA in math grades 6-12, but never completed it. I did earn 36 credits under the program though.

Do I include this on my resume? I feel like it's going to be a sore spot since I didn't complete it and it will make me look bad.

What do you think? Thanks!

3. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Mar 13, 2014

Do you have plans to complete it?

Since you are looking for an elementary position, it is okay to leave it out.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2014

I would add it no matter because some school districts will give you pay for those hours. To me and this is just my opinion it doesn't matter how many hours you didn't complete. You had your reasons for not completing it. If it comes up in a conversation just say you stopped for personal reasons or whatever you want to say. Of course I am not the admin looking to potentially hire you either. I don't think it should hurt you that you didn't complete it.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 13, 2014

Why not add it as in progress or put an anticipated completion date? It couldn't hurt to show that you have further educated yourself. They don't have to know that you aren't planning to finish it or when you started.

6. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

No you don't put it on the education section of your resume if you didn't actually complete the program. What you can do, if you really want to show you did the coursework, is create a separate "coursework" section, and write down what classes you took towards your degree or how many credits

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 13, 2014

Don't put it your resume unless it applies to the position you are seeking. As far as getting credit for the work, the credits will show up when you submit transcripts.

8. vateacher300

vateacher300 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

I am in a similar situation. I have 42 credits of graduate coursework in a master's program. My program had nothing to do with education (I'm a career switcher). I still include it on my resume for two reasons--

1. Most divisions ask for all of your college transcripts so I want to look like I'm not hiding the fact that I didn't finish my graduate degree when they receive a copy of my transcript. Also, I had a 4.0 in my program so my GPA was solid.

2. Some schools might like that I'm almost a graduate degreed teacher, but they still only have to pay me at the bachelor's level :)

I've been on lots of interviews with my resume like this and have never once gotten a question about why I didn't finish my graduate program. If I ever do, I'll simply tell the truth and let them know that I had to make a difficult decision to stop my thesis process due to financial and other personal reasons at that time.