Incentives to collect Box Tops for Education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jsais, Jul 19, 2007.

1. jsais

jsais Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Our school has been collecting Box Tops for Education for the past few years. We typically collect a few hundred dollars each year, but we are wanting to really increase participation.

What kinds of things can we do?

Contests? Incentives? Rewards?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

Our student council sponsored 2 contests during the year. The SC rep for the homeroom designed a container to put them in and the homeroom with the most in each grade level won an ice cream party.

4. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

we had a great family at our school that sponsored pizza parties for classes twice a year.
    we had a school wide classroom contest and the classroom that collected the most box tops won a pizza party. this got everyone to contribute! the school didn't have to do anything since the family sponsored the pizza parties and the mom counted the box tops.
    i think the contests went on for like a month and we got weekly updates on the class outcomes.

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

We also had class parties for the class that collected the most. My class won pizza for the first party, and I think they might have done ice cream after that. They have a chart in the hall that shows how many each class has.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

Ours had been a flop for many years until we got a gung ho PTA and it's awesome now!! They hold a party each trimester for the winning class and individual students get recognized with a goodie bag for bringing in boxtops. It's great.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

Each quarter the winning class gets a popscicle party.

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

no competition

Set a school goal and have the children all work toward the goal. When the goal is reached, the teachers and principal do something special with the students (ice cream, etc)

Another thing I do with my own kids is that we make out envelopes with our address on them and tape a box top to each one. We give them to grandparents and neighbors who also save them for our school. I come from a school of about 120 students and we had about 5000 turned in!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

I stick them in a baggy for family members to bring in. The kids love it. I think the teacher had a competition between the kids!!! I think like they got a piece of candy or something. I hate to see the box tops & labels go to waste!!

Make sure you let parents with kids in diapers know they are on huggies diapers as well.

10. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

We had 10 or so teachers volunteer to be part of the program. I took 10 1/2 gallon milkjugs and taped them together in one large row. I put a picture of each of the participating teachers on a jug. The kids knew that the teacher (or principal or SRO) participating that got the most boxtops would take a pie to the face on the morning news. In order to get MORE kids participating, they put their names on the back of the box top. The "winning" jug would have a boxtop pulled from it and that student got to throw the pie. I think we ran the contest for 12 weeks w/ updateso n the news every now and then! It was VERy successful, we made about $500 and we had great pics for the yearbook! All for maybe $10 in supplies!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2007

I think the BoxTop website has a sheet for each month that you can download. It's a cute picture with spaces for students to glue their boxtops onto.