Incentive/Reward System?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by linswin23, Nov 12, 2011.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 12, 2011

Hi everyone,

Do you have any type of incentive/reward program in your classes? I'm toying with the idea of having team names for each table in my classes, but I don't want it to take too much time in class. We've got too much to cover with the curriculum. I have created extra credit assignments, but I want to reward the kids who are constantly on task, and I'm hoping that if I make it a table effort the kids will work together and work on their in class behavior. My kids are relatively good--they never get out of control, but there is always room for improvement.

I'd like to hear if you have any type of positive behavior incentive/reward system in your middle school classes. Thanks so much!

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 12, 2011

Hi,

I have eight "teams" in my class. Each team consists of four students and students can earn a point for their team by being ready to learn, having their materials out, paying attention, staying on task, being polite, answering a difficult question, etc.

I'll say something like, "WOW...I love how team #7 was ready with their anthology and notebook. You've earned a point, team #7!" All the other teams look at team #7 and courage the rest of their teammates to be ready so they, too, can earn a point.

At the end of the week, the team with the most points earns a special reward. The kids really look forward to Friday because they want to earn the special treat.

Hope this helps. It definitely works for me.

~YTG

4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 12, 2011

Youngteacherguy....

I love this!

Do you have any type of visual that displays the points earned for each table?

Thank you so much for sharing that.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 12, 2011

I keep track of the points on the white board. If you'd like, I can take a photo of it...it's nothing special, though. :)

6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 12, 2011

Thanks for the offer, but don't go out of your way! I think keeping the tallies on the whiteboard would be easy and free :) I'm going to try that this week.

Thanks again!

7. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Nov 13, 2011

I do a whole class reward system where they earn time for preferred activities once a week or so. The activities are academic so it's beneficial and it really helps with transition and following procedures. I time things a lot, and if I give them 2 minutes to transition and they finish in 1, the other minute goes to their score board. The idea is from a book called Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones. I LOVE it and when I work it, it really works...if that makes sense.

8. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Nov 13, 2011

Oh, I also give them automatic time for things that don't have time limits on them. Wherever I see a problem. I was noticing kids procrastinating and not doing their warmup. I took them as a quiz a few times...a negative consequence...and it did not improve the behavior one bit. The next day I told them that I would add one minute to their board if everyone finished and EVERYONE finished. I will award time if everyone is prepared etc. I give individual praise to students often and positive notes from time to time as well.

9. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 18, 2011

This is awesome! I'm going to have to try this.