Incentive Charts

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by EiffelTower, May 2, 2009.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 2, 2009

I was thinking of using these with my 3rd graders next year and was wondering what you guys thought. For those of you that don't know, I'm moving from 5th to 3rd next year and want to make sure they're age appropriate. I was thinking of setting up the system where a student could turn in 1 complete filled up chart for a pencil. 2 charts would equal a treat. 3 charts would equal a mystery prize. 4 charts would equal a no homework coupon. 5 charts would equal a book from Scholasit for $5 or less (I would use my bonus points). Thoughts?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 2, 2009

Do you mean the little ones that go on desks? I used them for a while but then felt like I was running around putting stickers on them. Now, I use a wall chart and kids get to give themselves checks each day that they have done all of their homework. When they fill a line, they get a treat from the treasure chest. It works really well.

4. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 3, 2009

Yes, those are the incentive charts that I'm referring, too. Thanks for the feedback!

Right now I'm using raffle tickets to reward students and they can turn 25 in for a pencil, 50 for a treat, 75 for a mystery prize, 100 for a no homework coupon, and 200 for a Scholastic book. I'm finding that the tickets end up being scattered all over the inside of their desks and falling out on the floor. I was hoping that the incentive charts would prevent that from happening.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 25, 2009

I use tickets, too, but award them only 2-3 times a day. Students get a ticket and immediately write their names on it and put it in my ticket box (Kleenex box or seasonal container like a jack-o-lantern, Easter basket, etc.) - no more lost tickets. I draw out one (actually, the student who won last week draws it out) at the end of the week. I might draw out two, if they have been exceptionally good listeners/workers.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 25, 2009

Eiffel,
    If they turn 1 in for a pencil, how do they get to 2, 3, or 4? Do they have to make the decision to save them up?

Here are my concerns with little incentive charts, and these come from experience --
    --you can peel the stickers back off if you are careful, and give them to your friends instead.
    --other teachers (art, music, etc) often give those little stickers on the back of a child's hand, so a devious child could come back and put it on their chart, or even bring some from home (you can buy the little ones at the dollar store)
    --it is very tme consuming, peeling those little tiny stickers off and handing them out, even if you have the students put them on themselves

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

That is a great idea tgim!!!! The only problem with that is I think my 2nd graders would get upset if they worked hard all week and I don't pick out their name. I've tried something like that once and I had like 3 kids eyes water up. I thouroughly explained that you are a winner even when you are not a winner because you know you did the best job you can, but it really didn't work that well. So I just decided to reward all students when necessary so no good deed is left unrewarded.:lol: They are just too young to get the whole "my name was in the box but I didn't get picked" thing. But that is a great solution to losing tickets etc.

8. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 25, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do, so I will take your ideas into consideration. :)

9. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 25, 2009

You could use mini-stamps instead of stickers to avoid the problem of sneaky students.

10. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

May 28, 2009

I'm moving to 3rd grade this year from 2nd. I've used the incentive charts from the Dollar Tree for 3 years. Every year is different on their effectiveness. The students always love earning their stickers. I only reward them with a trip to the treasure box when they fill their 25 sticker chart. Last year, students stole stickers and didn't peel them all off when they were full (they are laminated). So I had them keep their charts with them in their binders. Then some lost their charts, so they didn't get to participate. I used them again this year and had a "sticker monitor" who made sure that no one was dishonest with their stickers. I am planning to use it again this year and allow them to choose their reward (treasure box, read to another class, lunch with the teacher - this may take more than one chart to earn!! :woot:). I like the idea of using stamps. There is no faking that! I just wonder how you can "erase" the stamps without using a new chart each time they're filled... Any suggestions??

11. mcontuzzi

mcontuzzi New Member

May 28, 2009

Ha! I had the exact same experience :) Those tickets sound like fun but they are more of a headache than anything else.

12. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

May 30, 2009

LOL oh man this was my first year and. Did the whole sticker think ahhh I will be changing it I had too many complaints about stolen or Missing stickers or even can I have tape to tape up my sticker LOL I really like the idea of the bucket to get a chance . I might just use that but maybe pull out once a day ? Whatdo u this k? Any thoughts

13. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 30, 2009

So, I think the incentive charts are a no-go. :) Thanks for all the feedback on them!

I'm actually think of doing a weekly drawing on Friday's. I would pull 5 names and then they could choose from a prize box. In the past I've done it where students exchange their tickets for a pencil, treat, mystery prize, no homework coupon, and a $5 book (using my bonus points) from Scholastic. I don't want to do that this time.

MissNewTeach: Do you think you would have enough tickets entered into the drawing to do it on a daily basis? That would be my one concern.

14. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 30, 2009

I think daily would also work.

15. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

If you do a daily or weekly drawing, do you dump out all the names and start fresh?

I was going to use the drawing with tickets given for using various "life skills". (skills learned during school that prepare you for the real world) i.e. cooperation, friendship, responsibility, etc.

16. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

I would dump out the names after the weekly drawing on Friday.

17. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

hmmmm maybe weekly is better and u don't have to do the hassle of doing it every day ! My collegue does it every day and she stops traffic in the hallway every day for the students to wait .. Seems a little bit too much

18. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Hi, I just wanted to add in some of my thoughts/experiences.

As for incentive charts, I have a fellow coworker that uses the stamps. I think the kids have a library pocket attached to their desk and an index card inside of the pocket.

As for tickets, I've been using them for the last several years. My students have ticket boxes, which are really just pencil boxes. Since the students have a spot to house the tickets, you won't find as many on the floor. However, I also told the students that if I found tickets on the floor they would be taken and not returned.

I chose to have auctions. Not the traditional store, but auctions. I have one auction per quarter (4 per yr). I encourage students to rummage through their bedrooms and donate items/toys. I also usually hit the dollar store. The way the auction works is I hold an item up and I say, "Is anyone willing to pay 1 ticket for this item?" Students raise their hand if they are. I continue going up in price until only one last student has their hand up. Then I say, "SOLD to _______ for _____ tickets!" The kids love that part. I've found that some items go into the 100s though, so sometimes I'll start counting by 5s or 10s.

Let me just say that the kids work hard to earn the tickets - and you don't have to worry about keeping items stocked for a store, etc.