Incentive Charts and stickers

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by heartofateacher, Aug 20, 2009.

1. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 20, 2009

yes or no? I was thinking about using them for managing behavior and for praising good work/effort/etc. But my question is, do 5th graders still like stickers?

3. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

Even my 7th grade boys liked stickers last year

4. heartofateacher

Aug 20, 2009

WOW!!!! Never would've thought that!!! Okay, so I guess this is a go! Thanks.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Use incentive charts and my kids love them. Also have a marble jar for compliments from adults when we are not in the classroom (hallways, specials, lunchroom, etc). Love that too!!!

6. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 21, 2009

A classmate of mine who was actually a HS teacher said that her high schoolers still like to get stickers on their work.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

My high school kids (yes, even Seniors) get a kick out of getting a sticker.

A little positive reinforcement is always a good thing, especially when it comes after a lot of effort.

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 21, 2009

I use them all the time. The kids love it! They get very territorial about their stickers and charts. Some even tape over their stickers so they don't lose any!

9. heartofateacher

Aug 21, 2009

LOL... how funny! I use the marble jar as well. :)

10. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

What do you give as a reward for getting so many marbles in the jar?

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 22, 2009

We have a class party. The hands down favorite it my "chop stick party". I give each a pair of chopsticks-and then I make a trail mix of really small foods-like mini marshmallows, m&ms, peanuts (if no allergies), popcorn, mini pretzels,etc. and they can ONLY use the chopsticks to eat it. It gets pretty creative. I have also done a game party (bring in board games, serve chips and drink), a pj day, an in school snow day, and a movie day. My class really does enjoy working for those compliments to get the marbles. Last year was the first year it took until April to fill the jar. (134 marbles). Best time? Two years ago they got all 134 marbles by the middle of October. We had many parties that year!!

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 22, 2009

What's an in class snow day?

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 22, 2009

Well...I frost the windows of my classroom door, and we do all "snow" related activities. (We keep the door closed all day to give us the effect we are snowed in).We made snowmen (and had a decorating contest for the best dressed snowman), read snow related books together, did a snow globe art project, watched "The Snowman" movie (it is a wordless picture book) or any other movie that features snow, and made hot cocoa.
    At other times, I have adjusted for the grade level. For example, the book Snowflake Bentley is great to do with my 5th graders. I have also done a snowball "fight" with my 5th graders-and it was so much fun. Once, I even baked bread in my breadmaker-and we ate it with our hot cocoa.
    Our district does not often have snow days, so during the winter, it is nice to take a break from the academics and have some fun. Using this as an incentive with my marble jar works great too!

14. heartofateacher

Aug 23, 2009

I give a party as well.