Inauguration Ideas for K

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Jazzy*Jai, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jan 17, 2009

Hey guys,
    I am looking for age appropriate ideas for the children. They are super excited about Barack Obama and I know they will just be excited to see him. I also know they will get tired of watching after about 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

3. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

Hi Jazzy*Jai

Im a Kinder teacher too. I found this awesome printable book and song on Dr Jean's website. It's titled "Our New President" - I think it would explain the process of becoming president. (not in too much detail). The book also talks about his family and the "new dog" for the girls.

4. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

Our Weekly Reader covers it. I also found a printable book on the update page of Making Learning Fun.

5. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

I think I'm going to give my 1st graders a presidential coloring sheet in case they get bored. But, from what I've seen, the actual swearing in/speech should only be about 30 minutes. It looks like it is supposed to start about 11:30 Eastern time and he is supposed to be sworn in by noon, according to the constitution. I considered doing popcorn, just because it's a special day they won't see for another 4 years, and it's the first one they have any chance of remembering. I have a question: Did you have to get permission slips signed to watch the inauguration? We did, but weren't told until Thursday after school! We'll see how many kids get to watch.

6. undrpdtcha

undrpdtcha Rookie

Jan 19, 2009

Thanks for the ideas! Love Dr. Jean, and will be playing the song that she has on her website. BTW, did anybody else have a hard time downloading the Obama song? I must have gotten lucky, because after a week of trying, I was finally able to download it on Friday. Thank you also for the Making Learning Fun idea. I will go ahead and have my students color the book. My students are excited since we actually had a classroom election on Nov 4, and the majority of them voted for Obama. We did not get permission from parents to watch the Inauguration on TV, but our principal knows, so I hope everything will be A-ok.

7. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 19, 2009

I use that same website for preschool! I love it!

8. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

That book on Making Learning Fun says the Whitehouse in two spots instead of White House! I think I'll try to fix it; can't have them do it that way!