Inappropriate thoughts

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by vsimpkins, May 27, 2013.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

May 27, 2013

I was subbing a 3rd grade class and was reading a read aloud in TE and every time I said balls the students would laugh , I told them that they were disrespectful with the class. Then I gave a pre-test on spelling and was spelling words on the board and when I said the letter "p" they did it again. How would any of you handle this?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 27, 2013

I would ask what word they thought started with "p" and if they said "penis" I would write it on the board. It's a word.

If the laughing is disruptive make sure to address it and call out the students who are laughing. If it's just kids being silly, let them be silly.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 27, 2013

I think P was probably funny because of 'pee' not 'penis'. I definitely would not write 'penis' on the board in a 3rd grade classroom!

I would let their teacher know. If it happened again while teaching, I'd tell them if it happens again, they would all suffer x consequence.

5. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

May 27, 2013

What's interesting is the teacher wasn't returning and this class has had several subs. The 3 days that I was there was exhausting and the principal was not supportive and other teachers told me.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2013

Honestly I would have just given a bored look and ignored it.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 27, 2013

This.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 27, 2013

When kids tried to make things go towards the inappropriate (and now I'm talking about high school locked up boys) I would just either give a look like I didn't get it, or a bored / straight face or even rolled my eyes as if it was so ridiculously dumb to laugh about that. It always worked. If I would have gotten upset, embarrassed or annoyed, it would have been fun for them and they would have continued.
    Sometimes, with some of the crazy things they said / turned things I said into inappropriate, I couldn't help but laugh. I wasn't trying to, but it was funny. Then we got back to business.
    But getting upset / hung up over these things never works.

I assume it would work the same with 3rd graders, probably easier, because the high schoolers could turn almost anything into inappropriate.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

May 27, 2013

Have to admit. I giggled about the potty humor when I read your post.

I agree with p meaning pee.

10. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 27, 2013

Usually this is what I do. That, or I'll roll my eyes and say "....really?" in a bored manner and move on.

11. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 28, 2013

When we read A Christmas Carol in 7th grade, the character "Dick" always causes problems. If I remember, I'll make a little speech about being mature and not making jokes that aren't funny before we read. Of course, there are always a couple kids who still try, but the rest of the class usually shuts them down for being "stupid and immature."

Maybe some variation of the maturity talk would help? I don't know much about 3rd graders.

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

May 31, 2013

I would just ignore it.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 31, 2013

One of my students giggled every time he heard the word peacock today (in a poem we were analyzing). I did the bored look and asked the class if they'd never seen a peacock and then described the look of the feathers (neutralized the word via repetition and context).

These are 11th graders by the way.